Which Antivirus?

With the exception of a medical practice that bans any external technology devices, I'm willing to bet you every medical practice out there is BYOD.
Our local hospital will not allow BYOD to be brought in. They do allow remote access, but they also come to the location and configure the system and do a few other things with it. You by-pass any of them and your access is denied.

Also, you'd be surprised at how many are getting anal retentive on BYOD.

Our local hospital will not allow BYOD to be brought in. They do allow remote access, but they also come to the location and configure the system and do a few other things with it. You by-pass any of them and your access is denied.

Also, you'd be surprised at how many are getting anal retentive on BYOD.

What's your hospital's definition and scope of BYOD? I find it very hard to believe they do not allow BYOD.

I use Kaspersky purely on the basis I get 3 licences free with my bank (Barclays). Had this not been the case, I wouldn't run any antivirus protection. I don't generally do much on my PC now; most activities I do on my phone.

What's your hospital's definition and scope of BYOD? I find it very hard to believe they do not allow BYOD.
No personal phones hooked into their network, no personal ipads/tablets hooked into their network, no personal laptops hooked into their network. Basically nothing you bring in can connect to their network (core). They DO have a guest network but it is firewalled off from the core infrastructure. Any hospital related work is required to be done on one of the multitude of systems that they have present.
You ARE allowed remote access, but it is via Citrix to their systems and has it's own processes (such as they come to the office to configure it).

No personal phones hooked into their network, no personal ipads/tablets hooked into their network, no personal laptops hooked into their network. Basically nothing you bring in can connect to their network (core). They DO have a guest network but it is firewalled off from the core infrastructure. Any hospital related work is required to be done on one of the multitude of systems that they have present.
You ARE allowed remote access, but it is via Citrix to their systems and has it's own processes (such as they come to the office to configure it).

So technically there is BYOD. You can connect to the guest network, which is technically still the same network. It doesn't sound like it's VLANed off, BlueCoat Proxied and/or a physically different network.

When I used to be stuck with Windows I used AVG Free, however I came back to it a year or so ago to install it on my folks computer, it's a pile of malware ridden junk now, like a lot of Windows software.

So technically there is BYOD. You can connect to the guest network, which is technically still the same network. It doesn't sound like it's VLANed off, BlueCoat Proxied and/or a physically different network.
No, it runs on it's own guest VLAN.. hell, we do the same thing at the Dr. office I support. :p
Probably should have used the term walled off instead of firewalled off.

No, it runs on it's own guest VLAN.. hell, we do the same thing at the Dr. office I support. :p
Probably should have used the term walled off instead of firewalled off.

But doesn't it go back to the original point that there is BYOD? You have guests bringing BYOD into the environment, and you also have potentially staff members connecting to the Guest WiFi Network.

But doesn't it go back to the original point that there is BYOD? You have guests bringing BYOD into the environment, and you also have potentially staff members connecting to the Guest WiFi Network.
But for "work", it doesn't meet the requirement of a BYOD as you cannot utilize it to perform functions within the network that runs the system. A guest network is not designed (and you know this) for utilization of BYOD devices for core work functions.

But for "work", it doesn't meet the requirement of a BYOD as you cannot utilize it to perform functions within the network that runs the system. A guest network is not designed (and you know this) for utilization of BYOD devices for core work functions.

How does one validate that claim though?

I thought this thread was about peoples opinion on the best Antivirus App...??

Not the pro's and cons of this fella called BOYD , coz he sounds bloody boring as hell...

The reality is that all antiviruses are pretty the same in their capabilities. What you're paying for is how quickly they respond and update their signatures. Next time you get a malicious email, send it up to a virus scanning service and watch it pass with flying colours.

Again , thats a debate for another thread... But its peoples lack of sending reports as they happen that contributes to the delays...

The same way the notification for these threads monitor if a response has been added to a post... if you dont get a notification you wait until your next visit to forum to find out...

How does one validate that claim though?
Which claim.. that's it's not designed for work functions? If it was, then you would have full access to the back end programs utilized to complete the job functions. You don't on a guest network. You don't reasonably expect that a guest network that anyone connects to will have access to the same resources that a secured network does.

Top Bottom