Which Antivirus?

ESET Nod32 and I swear by it.
Not bothered by the review mentioned about memory usage.
I don't get slow downs or anything like it. Don't have infections and it's by far the best.
I've used it easy 8-9 years and I cannot tell you the last time I had a virus.

The amount of PC's from clients (outside of forums stuff I mean now) which I've had to repair because they use cheap, or free antivirus software, is simply unreal.
Anyone using FREE AVG or anything like that, may as well use the PC without any protection whatsoever.

QFT.

Not to mention their endpoint system makes large scale deployments.... so good.

ESET Nod32 and I swear by it.
Not bothered by the review mentioned about memory usage.
I don't get slow downs or anything like it. Don't have infections and it's by far the best.
I've used it easy 8-9 years and I cannot tell you the last time I had a virus.

The amount of PC's from clients (outside of forums stuff I mean now) which I've had to repair because they use cheap, or free antivirus software, is simply unreal.
Anyone using FREE AVG or anything like that, may as well use the PC without any protection whatsoever.

Totally, agree with you becasue I am also using it since the last 2 years. And so far, not affected by a virus problem, so I highly recommend this software to people.

QFT.

Not to mention their endpoint system makes large scale deployments.... so good.

Have you tried the new version? I wasn't happy with the changes - I enjoyed the windows gui based console. Wasn't happy to see them move to a web based management. Also wants SQL express installed - or run it in their supplied virtual machine image.

Last edited:
I've never found Kaspersky to be resource intensive, at least not on the PCs I use it on, when you adjust the settings/options right. Cheap too, $5/year/PC when you buy the previous year's version for 3 PCs on eBay for $15, then uninstall the old version, download fresh copy from KAV, use new code, set for another year. Been using it for years and it's like a rock. I use it on about 15 PCs.

I would never trust Kaspersky on my computer. Given the fact that the CEO is ex-KGB/FSB, and has been spotted dining/meeting regularly with current FSB members, it makes me very very nervous.

Bitdefender ISS all the way for me , only one I really still sell

Used to be GData ISS fan until they changed the twin scanning engines on the AV side a few years ago..
And NO I don't find either of them a resource hog , I have got a decent amount of RAM and keep a lean clean PC..

I was very satisfied with Bitdefender until false positives started occurring and its cloud structure started messing with my network profiles.

But honestly it's not really virus that people get today but spyware.
Really? I wouldn't classify Cryptolocker, CryptoWall, and Critroni as spyware.

I know several local businesses that got hit by it... a couple of them paid the ransom and all but 1 of those got their files unlocked. Several just reinstalled all their programs since the data was kept on a remote system that could not be infected from their PC's. Several of those that got hit had malware protection AND antivirus protection installed.
The Dr. Office I work at recovered all their data from the off-site backups that we did. It still cost them $1500 to get back to where they were (mainly labor due to the amount of data (on the servers that were mapped network drives) being restored and the time involved in restoring the local desktop computers that were impacted). We've now moved from off-site to both off-site and on-site storage for the backups (biggest hit was the networks speed - max 15Mbps down via DSL and pulling in almost 3TB data took a while).

At that local Dr. office I do work for, we have Vipre anti-virus (business) installed. Does a decent job.

Really? I wouldn't classify Cryptolocker, CryptoWall, and Critroni as spyware.

I know several local businesses that got hit by it... a couple of them paid the ransom and all but 1 of those got their files unlocked. Several just reinstalled all their programs since the data was kept on a remote system that could not be infected from their PC's. Several of those that got hit had malware protection AND antivirus protection installed.
The Dr. Office I work at recovered all their data from the off-site backups that we did. It still cost them $1500 to get back to where they were (mainly labor due to the amount of data (on the servers that were mapped network drives) being restored and the time involved in restoring the local desktop computers that were impacted). We've now moved from off-site to both off-site and on-site storage for the backups (biggest hit was the networks speed - max 15Mbps down via DSL and pulling in almost 3TB data took a while).

At that local Dr. office I do work for, we have Vipre anti-virus (business) installed. Does a decent job.

I classify Cryptolocker and similar types as ransomware.

I classify Cryptolocker and similar types as ransomware.
It is a very, very nasty trojan for sure. For a while it was morphing enough that the AV programs were missing it.
We were pretty sure it wasn't done via email but via a botnet since at least 3 of the computers were infested with malware. The others we didn't even check on - just installed new drives and images of the OS.

According to Symantec, viruses are around for about 300 days before the average virus scanner detects them. Additionally, virus scanners are software, thus (actually) additional security risks. Remember the Avira users not able to boot their Windows machine after a signature update? It happened a couple of times for various virus scanners now.

Also, you should mind the actual virus risk. This is not 1999 anymore. Most viruses come as drive-by downloads in your browser or as mail attachments. While good spam filters and a bit of basic human mind are able to defeat the latter, the former is a bit harder to explain:

There are malicious ad banners and malicious JavaScripts, both targeting 0-day browser holes. You could safely get rid of them and of most of today's web's annoyances by installing an ad blocker (like µBlock) and NoScript. And don't forget that Windows itself has UAC and some other mitigation techniques against human mistakes leading to system corruption.

TL;DR: You don't need a virus scanner wasting your system resources on Windows. It's 2015.

I have never run any kind of virus software on my computers, laptops or any other devices.

I have the built in Windows stuff disabled.

TL;DR: You don't need a virus scanner wasting your system resources on Windows. It's 2015.
Sorry... for business they really do if they have users bringing media in from their residence and plugging in (thumb drives anyone). When you are dealing with medical records covered by HIPPA you want to make darned sure your systems are as protected as you can possibly make them (if you are a conscientious practice that is).

In a BYOD business, it's not the user's fault when everyone in the network has the rights to spread viruses. Actually, allowing users to use potentially infected media from outside the business is quite the opposite of protection.

A virus scanner would not help.

In a BYOD business, it's not the user's fault when everyone in the network has the rights to spread viruses. Actually, allowing users to use potentially infected media from outside the business is quite the opposite of protection.

A virus scanner would not help.
I know very few medical practices that are BYOD. I DO know practices that have issues with the providers (and nurses) bringing in thumb drives with "important stuff" to work on... and those thumb drives have gotten their data from (frequently) unprotected systems.
At one of the clinics we are about to perform surgery on most of the machines so that there is only 2 USB ports available (keyboard & mouse). Policy is already in place that prohibits the bringing in of any outside non IT approved media. No "oh, I forgot" for them - because they have to unplug either the mouse or keyboard then to pull data from the thumb drive.

You cannot totally prevent the bringing in of outside media. Hell, even "official media" for software can be infected and slam you during the installation of the program.

One of the funny things is that at one of the clinics they used to all have admin privs on the desktops... now they are severely restricted in what they can do. I've never heard a group of adults whining so much.

Last edited:
I know very few medical practices that are BYOD. I DO know practices that have issues with the providers (and nurses) bringing in thumb drives with "important stuff" to work on... and those thumb drives have gotten their data from (frequently) unprotected systems.
At one of the clinics we are about to perform surgery on most of the machines so that there is only 2 USB ports available (keyboard & mouse). Policy is already in place that prohibits the bringing in of any outside non IT approved media. No "oh, I forgot" for them - because they have to unplug either the mouse or keyboard then to pull data from the thumb drive.

You cannot totally prevent the bringing in of outside media. Hell, even "official media" for software can be infected and slam you during the installation of the program.

One of the funny things is that at one of the clinics they used to all have admin privs on the desktops... now they are severely restricted in what they can do. I've never heard a group of adults whining so much.

With the exception of a medical practice that bans any external technology devices, I'm willing to bet you every medical practice out there is BYOD.

Top Bottom