Which addons do you find essential?

creativeforge

We are very excited with converting to Xenforo from PhpBB3.0.12. Now as we'll be purchasing our license, I see a few Xenforo addons:

- Media gallery
- Ressource manager
- Enhanced search

Which made me think - I would like to hear from users what addons they consider essential for their forum, especially big ones (10,000+ members). I know I am definitely considering Xenporta 2 to create a customized landing page.

As far as other addons, feel free to chime in as well, whether used for aesthetic, maintenance or function.

Thank you in advance,

Regards,

Andre

Hi all,

The forum right now has beyond 600,000 posts, including private messages. Not counting the attachments, about 2,500. Am I hearing that the Enhanced Search performance greatly depends on the server's and database settings? If so, how can we ensure it's optimal?

Thanks again everybody!

This is my list of favorite addons:

Auto-highlight permalink
Auto Link Titles
Best Posts
Bookmarks
Extra Trophies Awarded
Mini Avatar with Tags
New User Conversation
Notifications
Modern Statistics
Prefix Forum Listing
Quick Reply Preview
s9e Media Pack
Similar Threads
Sticky Navigation
TaigaChat Pro
Toggle ME
User Banners on Member Cards for XenForo
Who Has Visited 24 Hours
XenForo Media Gallery
ProfilePost With BBcode

@rafass, I'm looking at yours and others lists and wonder: are most of these features NOT included in the Xenforo package, or did you decide to go to external ones for some reason? Looks like an awful lot of money to spend on addons beside the basic package... or am I missing something?

Cheers,

Andre

Thanks again everybody!

@rafass, I'm looking at yours and others lists and wonder: are most of these features NOT included in the Xenforo package, or did you decide to go to external ones for some reason? Looks like an awful lot of money to spend on addons beside the basic package... or am I missing something?

Cheers,

Andre
The basic package provides a forum system, but to be original and innovative you really need to add to the base. Some forums use more than a hundred add-ons, whilst others don't use many. XenForo doesn't have niche stuff in its system, nor should it. If you have a gaming forum, they aren't going to add support for an events system for you, when someone running a dinosaur forum won't need it. Or a raffle system for a forum wanting to offer competitions when most don't want it. It's bloat to an extent imo. The latter is a better example. XenForo has a powerful system for add-ons to expand on, it's expected a lot of functionality on your board will come from add-ons (at least the one to differ you from a Jane Doe).

Great stuff!

The forum has been running for 10 years as a PhpBB2 board, and right now we just want to convert to Xenforo, and make it powerfully functional so the forum can just go back doing what it's been doing successfully for 10 years: connecting people, sharing knowledge and helping one another, and also serving the need for those developers interested in purchasing banners on rotation, etc.

Right now for a forum our size, I've noted the following addons would really be essential :

XenForo Enhanced Search
Xenporta 2
XenCentral Ad Server 1.3
Post Ratings

Not sure about how the Media Gallery and the Resource Manager can help us at this point, actually as I look at the present forum. But I will mention them to the client in case he already sees or had considered the features they offer.

With this, we should be good to go till we come to the next phase of adding interesting features for the users. Bringing more changes and adding new features will be done in an incremental way, possibly after hearing from users on those features we're considering, so that way we avoid making it bloated with stuff.

I'm not shutting the conversation down, there may be much more to be said and shared! It has certainly been helpful! Thanks again!

Cheers,

Andre

Last edited:
I don't think you fully grasped the humor there. ;)
You don't get "kinda" pregnant. Either you are or you are not.
Same with the search. No kinda to it. MySQL search blows.

Top Bottom