Where do I change the color for this bar?

It's part of the default XF styling, rather than MG specific.

It's 'actionFilterRow'. You should be able to find the relevant CSS template to modify that in by searching templates for 'actionFilterRow'.

I must be doing something wrong, because I can't find it. I'm pretty new to this and don't know much CSS coding at all.

The file is action_filter_row.css, which you can find by doing this:

Open your Admin Panel
Click Appearance
Click Search Templates (sidebar)
For the style, choose "Default Style"
Enter actionFilterRow as the search term in "Template Contains"
Press Search

Knowing this process will help you immensely as you learn the XF template structures. Usually you'll keep your activated style as the style dropdown though.

EDIT: Didn't see that you originally wrote you don't know much CSS coding. I highly recommend you watch some YouTube videos, or search for CSS training websites on Google, otherwise you might be pretty lost.

Thanks! I did find it after fiddledinking around. I'm doing some stuff through trial and error. Lots of error. :)

That's often the best way to learn :) Just remember to copy/paste the entire original contents of any template you start playing with, into another text editor like Atom.io, Sublime Text (my personal favorite), Notepad++, or even just Notepad. You always want to be able to revert back if you mess things up royally :)

I've got something going that I think is pretty awesome. I'm a decent artist for backgrounds. More than decent as a writer (my first novel will probably be out in about a week). Coding? Achilles heel, man... I hate it. But I am farting around and figuring stuff out as I go. I just wish I knew where there was a place where the entire template was, so I could search out the gradient nonsense and either get rid of it or replace it with my own stuff. Some of the names of things are sorta counterintuitive, and searching through all these template pieces is taking a zillion years.

I've got something going that I think is pretty awesome. I'm a decent artist for backgrounds. More than decent as a writer (my first novel will probably be out in about a week). Coding? Achilles heel, man... I hate it. But I am farting around and figuring stuff out as I go. I just wish I knew where there was a place where the entire template was, so I could search out the gradient nonsense and either get rid of it or replace it with my own stuff. Some of the names of things are sorta counterintuitive, and searching through all these template pieces is taking a zillion years.

That's the good and bad about XF. It's modular so that templates are pretty intuitively named, and if you want to make a change you can go right to that template rather than reading through thousands of lines of code, but it also means that customizations are in multiple files. But most of that is in .css files, so it's quick enough when you get the hang of it. And if the creator didn't add an !important declaration to their style, you can always override it in the EXTRAS.css file. That's for your own custom css. I would try overriding styles there first and then dig into other templates second.

Top Bottom