XF 2.0 Where can I adjust the email notifications for all users to adhere to GDPR regulation?

Ewok

Hello All,

In order to meet GDPR regulations, we need to adjust how many and which emails we send to our users.

Where can we adjust the email notifications options for all users?

By default they are all enabled....how can we change this to avoid GDPR issues?

Thanks

Last edited:
"Receive news and update emails" is consenting to receive emails that are sent via the "Email users" feature in the ACP. It is not consenting to any other types of emails (e.g. emails for new threads, new replies to threads). All of those separate registration options should also be opt-in ie not pre-ticked

I found that can be ticked by default, and sghows on the registration form needing to be unticked to opt out.

View attachment 176182
It can be ticked by default, but it shouldn't be to comply with GDPR. It should be unticked by default (setting is in "Default registration values" in User registration).

I found that can be ticked by default, and sghows on the registration form needing to be unticked to opt out.
Thanks for that. I just turned the default off.

I also ran a test with a new user. New users don't have to tick the box to register. What this means is that if they don't tick the box, the defaults set to on for other site emails needs to be turned off, as they would not be linked I suspect, meaning if the box is not ticked the others go unticked if you have on as default for registrations (i.e. follow new thread with email).

So, I just went through this guide by Slavik, Pocket guide to GDPR + Q&A + FAQ: https://xenforo.com/community/resources/pocket-guide-to-gdpr-q-a-faq.6392/, who is a moderator on the forum here. The information is put together in consultation with the ICO.

What I get from that guide is that we don't need to worry about this email situation and remove email notifications and ask users to opt-in again like people who run Mail chimp lists need to (if they didn't have double opt-in turned on previously). We just need the options to be available to opt-out, and for us to help them opt-out if they ask us (admins). It's not specifically clear though, so I will ask the question wherever is appropriate in relation to that guide in a moment.

Last edited:
What I get from that guide is that we don't need to worry about this email situation and remove email notifications and ask users to opt-in again like people who run Mail chimp lists need to (if they didn't have double opt-in turned on previously). We just need the options to be available to opt-out, and for us to help them opt-out if they ask us (admins). It's not specifically clear though, so I will ask the question wherever is appropriate in relation to that guide in a moment.

Hi @Laron,

Any clarity on this? I've also posted a couple of questions in the pocket thread discussion.

Top Bottom