1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When to start thinking about adding ES.

Discussion in 'Enhanced Search Support' started by mjda, Jan 29, 2014.

1. mjda

mjda Active Member

As the title says, I'm wondering when is the right time that I should start thinking about getting ES for my site? I mean, I know 'the sooner the better' but I'm wondering, realistically, how soon every day members might begin to see a noticeable difference in search times.

Right now my forum is very small (<20,000 posts) but I recently acquired another site that I'm considering importing that will add quite a few more posts to the site. I just want to make sure I don't get myself into a situation where I'm rushing to get ES installed after my site's search is already deadly slow.

2. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Elastic Search isn't only good for improving search performance. It also comes with nifty features, so, really, any time is good.

3. mjda

mjda Active Member

I guess what I mean is, when would I need to look into adding it to my site, mainly for performance reasons.

4. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

What are your stats, other than messages?

5. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

The general belief is 1 million posts and above.

But it depends on server configuration, etc.

mjda likes this.
  6. mjda

mjda Active Member

Great! That's the exact kind of answer I was looking for. Looks like I can import the other site right away and still have quite a bit of time before I would "need" to consider adding ES. Not to say I won't add it sooner, but I was just wondering if that was something I needed to do right away, before the import.

Anyways, thanks for the info @Brogan.