When doing a "What's New", is 10 pages the hard max?

Kevin

When issuing a What's New search, is 10 pages of results that max that will ever be displayed or is it a configurable option (like you can specify in vB of returning a max X amount items when searching)?

Secondary question while I'm thinking of it...

Are there, or will be, search parameters to do, just for example, a search of finding new posts in the past X days and doing searches for threads that have no replies?

It's doing a search internally, so it just piggybacks that behavior. Obviously, you can run the search multiple times after you read stuff, but I'm not sure how frequently people will go through 200+ results?

There's a 24 hour view, though it only applies to guests at this point. It'd be possible to add more parameter options, just don't have anything exposed yet.

Thanks for the info, Mike. :)

For the 200+ results searching, I'm guilty of doing that one. :D There are some sites that I don't visit on a daily basis so maybe every couple of weeks or so I might hit New Posts link to get an idea of what I missed. I'll then read the threads that interest me and then at the end I'll mark all forums as read to start with a clean slate my next visit.

When it comes time for adding parameters to the search options, personally I am more interested in being able to the 'new threads with no replies' type search since it comes in really handy on a few product support forums. It probably isn't something used by a larger number of casual visitors to a site, but for some sites it is a great tool for the staff to use.

It's doing a search internally, so it just piggybacks that behavior. Obviously, you can run the search multiple times after you read stuff, but I'm not sure how frequently people will go through 200+ results?

There's a 24 hour view, though it only applies to guests at this point. It'd be possible to add more parameter options, just don't have anything exposed yet.

Thanks Mike.

Would relly, REALLY *love* a 24 hour view for members (like an equivalent to getdaily), that would show read threads as well as unread, my members find this essential.

Thanks Mike.

Would relly, REALLY *love* a 24 hour view for members (like an equivalent to getdaily), that would show read threads as well as unread, my members find this essential.

Absolutely. And it would be a LOT better if it could be a static page that folks can bookmark. Having the search go "stale" as it expires is awkward for many of our members and one of the few regrets we had when originally moving from our old POS board to vB. Having a "Latest Posts" page is a lot more intuitive for many folks that find threads disappearing after they read them quite disconcerting. It may not make sense to those of us that are a lot more forum savvy, but it's a reality for many folks.

Top Bottom