When do you normally upgrade after a major point release (eg. 2.3)?

AjayJunkies

Just curious, would like to hear from experienced XF admins on when you normally upgrade after a major point release such as 2.3.

Do you normally wait like 6 months? 9 months? Until absolutely necessary?

Depends.

If I was involved in beta testing and was satisfied with the state of the software, I might upgrade once I had tested the final release in my dev.

With one like 2.3 where I have not done the betas or RCs, I might test it and see but my inclination would be to give it maybe 2-4 weeks in case there's issues requiring a "Patch 1" or even an early 2.3.1.

How badly I want the new features comes into play, too. Frankly, nothing in 2.3 has my blood pumping so I won't be in a hurry. 2.2, OTOH, had stuff I was eager to get into production.

when you normally upgrade after a major point release such as 2.3.
When I have/make time for testing, and whether the new functionality is attractive.
2.3 is very much ho hum for me, quite the disappointment after almost 4 years. Don't see any point in upgrading, very likely to just wait until 3.0.
Haven't even downloaded 2.3 RC's or setup a test environment to try it out.

Last edited:
i will not be upgrading to the 2.3 one.
my license expires in a few weeks and i would rather wait and spend my money on upgrading to 3.
2.3 does not do anything for my site that is not already being done.
especially considering that i am still working on trying to get it going.
why waste money?

I learned the hard way after a dreadful experience with another forum vendor not to rush into upgrading any software unless there are security implications.

I'd rather let others do the testing for me and apply the upgrade after the dust has settled.

It all depends on whether the upgrade has a feature that is important or useful to me. If there is I’ll upgrade immediately especially if I’ve been testing. If not I might wait for a while, maybe until a security fix or a feature that I am interested in having.

Last edited:
Wont be upgrading soon. 2.3 featureset is a disappointment after waiting so many years for it. Hopefully 3.0 is an improvement.

Honestly, while I get the point to wait with the upgrade, I must say that I followed the bug tracker on a daily basis for 2.3. From B1 to RC5.
The more you see, the more you know. Of course there still will be some bugs (I reported one myself in relation to the upgrader), but so far the big catastrophy did not occur.

I think it is simply important to categorize how severe a potential error could be for yourself, e.g. broken upgrader:
1. Not severe, I will run the upgrade manually via SSH and manual file upload.
2. Severe, because I can't do that.

Honestly, while I get the point to wait with the upgrade, I must say that I followed the bug tracker on a daily basis for 2.3. From B1 to RC5.
The more you see, the more you know. Of course there still will be some bugs (I reported one myself in relation to the upgrader), but so far the big catastrophy did not occur.

I think it is simply important to categorize how severe a potential error could be for yourself, e.g. broken upgrader:
1. Not severe, I will run the upgrade manually via SSH and manual file upload.
2. Severe, because I can't do that.
Or a dodgey upload. Get rid of the old upload and upload another one

A broken upgrade is not really severe IMO. Severe would be something bad for you forum that you didn’t realise until quite some time after an upgrade, when reverting would mean losing you posts etc.

Just curious, would like to hear from experienced XF admins on when you normally upgrade after a major point release such as 2.3.

Do you normally wait like 6 months? 9 months? Until absolutely necessary?
It depends. One of my forums is already on XF 2.3, but it is only a month old. For others, I usually check for add-ons compatibility (I also use this time to check and remove add-ons that are not useful for my forum), then create a test forum (cloning the live one), upgrade there, check styling issues etc.

Once I've checked all this and made a backup, I go to sleep. After a while, with a shaking hand, I click on the Upgrade button on a live site :)

Or a dodgey upload. Get rid of the old upload and upload another one
The current bug we see has nothing to do with that unfortunately, see:

I don't know how many people are affected by this, but as of now I don't seem to be alone with it. Keep in mind that this only happened when upgrading through the ACP.

Bad uploads never occurred to me in like ever (+13 years).

It's nice that XenForo has it's own cloud. Once that starts running version 2.3 it should expose most issues.

Back
Top Bottom