What's your opinion on Google's new look?

What's your opinion on Google's new look?

• I like it

Votes: 31 54.4%
  • I dislike it

Votes: 14 24.6%
  • Not sure yet

Votes: 12 21.1%

• Total voters

dutchbb

I have to say that I'm not very fond of it. The dark navigation/grey theme is no improvement for me. How do XF members feel about Google's recent design update?

I'm not sure yet about it. I'm so used to Google's usual look that it threw me off a bit. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but right now I don't actually know.

Same as Onimua--I'm not used to it yet, but I think I'll like it given some time. Sure is a lot of extra space on the right, though...

I like the black/grey bar at the top. It stands out.

The previous navigation was not easy on the eyes, especially with the rest of the page being completely white.

It looks a lot more modern than their old fashioned bright layout. This adds subtle office like colors to the setup, organized whitespace, and still being flexible enough to look good with customizations

I like it overall! They are definitely trying to focus on their additional services beyond the search engine with the dark navigation bar at the top.

I'm not a fan of it, when I first went on there after they changed it I thought something was broken and hadn't loaded properly :ROFLMAO:

Er, I didn't notice anything had changed until I read this thread! Then I went back to a search I did no less than 30 seconds ago still open in a new tab... oh yes there's a new look! :)

It looks out of place compared with the actual search results. Orange and dark grey has never been part of Google's housestyle. I seriously can not understand how they could even agree on this new design. The dark navigation may attract attention to their other services, it is also very ugly. Homepage buttons have reduced readability, don't see to point in that. Orange/grey on left bar, nope not looking fresh at all. It reminds me of the day vBulletin 4.0 got released. Might have to check out Bing.

Do you switch search engines a lot based on how they look?
Even though the question wasn't directed towards me, I'm going to answer it. Not a lot, but if the look is distracting I will not use it. For example, I tried out Bing once. Their look was distracting and I haven't been back since.

Even though the question wasn't directed towards me, I'm going to answer it. Not a lot, but if the look is distracting I will not use it. For example, I tried out Bing once. Their look was distracting and I haven't been back since.
I don't find Bing a pleasure to use anyway, it feels outdated compared to the instant and speedy search that Google provides. I very rarely see a Google homepage as I just search from the address bar. I'm never usually on a results page more than 30 seconds either, so the look of it isn't that bothering.

I don't find Bing a pleasure to use anyway, it feels outdated compared to the instant and speedy search that Google provides. I very rarely see a Google homepage as I just search from the address bar. I'm never usually on a results page more than 30 seconds either, so the look of it isn't that bothering.
yeah, I was just giving an example. Bing is just plain dreadful, and, like you, I mostly use the search bar in the browser as opposed to the web site. I'm starting to think that the navigation bar up there stands out a little too much.

I think as a company when you launch new things such as style/layout, you should give users the option of: () use new layout () use old layout.

just my $0.02

Top Bottom