whats to best OS and best DB mysql or maridb to use with xenforo

spirogg

Hello,
I can't seem to find this after doing a few searches, I just purchased xenforo and I am wondering?

1. Best OS centOS 7 or 8 vs Ubuntu 18 or 20 for xenforo v2.2.1

2. Best performance DB Mysql 5.7/8 vs Mariadb 10.3 or higher

3. I have 2 servers both are identical
* Dual Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2670 v2 @ 2.50GHz, 128 Ram, 500gb ssd raid 1

first one is ubuntu 18.04 lts with Plesk Obsidian Plesk Obsidian 18.0.31 Update #1 running Mariadb 10.5

second one is centOS 7 cPanel 92 and running mariadb 10.3.27

if you had a choice to install on either one which would you install it on ?

if you have to rebuild one of the servers for xenforo what OS would you use and what database and why?

thanks so much in advance for your answer(s)

regards,

Spiro

Last edited:
Solution
I've been running on Centos servers with MariaDB and cPanel for several years now.

Current versions are Centos 7.9 and MariaDB 10.3.27 with cPanel v90.0.17.

Works great for me, not just for Xenforo but also one vBulletin 4.2.5 site, several WordPress sites, and one custom PHP site, although admittedly some of that may be familiarity. :)
Use the OS you know best. And I think it's wise to use the latest (LTS) version of the OS, like Ubuntu 20.04 and not 18.04.

Same goes for the Database, MariaDB is a drop in replacement for MySQL, they both have their pros and cons. Use what you know best.

FYI: I run Ubuntu 20.04 and MariaDB 10.5 on my VPS machines.

Use the OS you know best. And I think it's wise to use the latest (LTS) version of the OS, like Ubuntu 20.04 and not 18.04.

Same goes for the Database, MariaDB is a drop in replacement for MySQL, they both have their pros and cons. Use what you know best.

FYI: I run Ubuntu 20.04 and MariaDB 10.5 on my VPS machines.
Thank you so much for your reply Totally appreciate.

Spiro

I've been running on Centos servers with MariaDB and cPanel for several years now.

Current versions are Centos 7.9 and MariaDB 10.3.27 with cPanel v90.0.17.

Works great for me, not just for Xenforo but also one vBulletin 4.2.5 site, several WordPress sites, and one custom PHP site, although admittedly some of that may be familiarity. :)

Solution
I just read that there will be no more centOS 8 after dec 2021
and 7 will only be good till 2024

unless they go backward on their word like centos 8 and cut it short.

So what is the next option ? I See Gregory M. Kurtzer, who happens to be the creator of CentOS Linux does not seem to like the “shift in direction” for CentOS Linux as announced officially by Red Hat. Has started Rocky Linux

Also there seems to be Cloudlinux they say they will provide another with free updates for a specific time frame as well.

but this is just in the works?

what are your thoughts on this and how will this affect @XenForo ?

thanks

Spiro

We're using Debian 10 & MySQL 5.7 on a 24 core vm with 192g ram to run just the database.
Completely overkill, load is between 0,5 - 2 on heavy usage.
Webserver is separated with 64g ram and also 24 cores with PHP 7.4

I was going to say CentOS until the recent news. Currently running on CentOS8.

Use debian-based on at home, currently PopOS on an Intel NUC. Also have a development copy of my site on a RaspberryPi. It's been that way for years, imagine it wouldn't be difficult to transition to Ubuntu Server.

I've been considering CloudLinux, but will see in a few months.

I was going to say CentOS until the recent news. Currently running on CentOS8.

Use debian-based on at home, currently PopOS on an Intel NUC. Also have a development copy of my site on a RaspberryPi. It's been that way for years, imagine it wouldn't be difficult to transition to Ubuntu Server.

I've been considering CloudLinux, but will see in a few months.
One of the reasons I chose CentOS 8 was its support to 2029. This was in July. I'm not amused.

We're using CentOS 8 and MariaDB - it works flawlessly. We are looking into free alternatives with a clear upgrade path without full reinstall and right now Oracle Linux (Yes, Oracle :rolleyes:), Rocky Linux (still in early stages) and CloudLinux OS (paid but promised a free alternative in 2021 Q1).

We're using CentOS 8 and MariaDB - it works flawlessly. We are looking into free alternatives with a clear upgrade path without full reinstall and right now Oracle Linux (Yes, Oracle :rolleyes:), Rocky Linux (still in early stages) and CloudLinux OS (paid but promised a free alternative in 2021 Q1).
I guess time will tell hope It works out well for everyone thanks for the reply

PS this could be a catch 22 situation.. after everyone converts to couldlinux free version some catch 22 might come up and say hey if you want more its not free and you got to pay? but that's not a bad thing either I guess if its cheap. there pretty well known and stable.. lets see what cPanel does as well, first they said there working on ubuntu LTS support then they said they will support cloudlinux free alternative version - so who knows?
- Hopefully they are smart and do both

Top Bottom