XF 1.4 What's the point of the blue dot before the thread title?

imthebest

When browsing a node there are blue dots before the thread title:

demo.webp

When you click on the blue dot you're redirected to the first unread message on that thread (the URL changes to /threads/thread-name.123/unread). However if you click on the thread title itself the behavior is the same (even when it doesn't add the unread part at the end of the URL): you're redirected to the first message on that thread (tested here at XenForo.com).

So what is the point of showing that blue dot if clicking on the thread name will produce the same result?

How I can get rid of that blue dot?

Thanks,
Super120

Its another indicator to show there are new posts in the thread. Don't forget that the text could be styled differently and not necessarily be bold when there are new posts.

Correct me if I'm wrong but on the stock theme the title name is always bold when there are new posts.

So I don't see the point of having that blue dot. How I can get rid of that?

Correct me if I'm wrong but on the stock theme the title name is always bold when there are new posts.

That is correct, but as @Martok said, on custom styles, it could be different. For example, another site I'm a member of has bold titles for their pinned threads, regardless of read status, so besides the New Posts page, the dot is the only way to tell a thread has new posts -- well, aside from looking at the last message date / time.

Although admittedly, I don't really pay attention to the blue dot.

I added the following on EXTRA.css as per Brogan's instructions:

Code:
.LoggedIn .discussionListItem .titleText {
   padding-left: 10px;
}

But unfortunately nothing happens, the extra space of the removed blue dot is still there.

I believe that I'm doing something wrong...

@Brogan I'm sorry for keep bothering you but I can't find the appropriate line to remove on the template conversation_list_item in order to get rid of the blue dot there... could you please assist me? Thanks!

Comment this line out in the conversation_list_item template:

Code:
<xen:if is="{$visitor.user_id}"><a href="{xen:link conversations/toggle-read, $conversation}" class="ReadToggle"
                    data-counter="#ConversationsMenu_Counter"
                    title="{xen:if {$conversation.isNew}, {xen:phrase mark_as_read}, {xen:phrase mark_as_unread}}"></a></xen:if>

Or remove it with custom CSS:

Code:
.LoggedIn .discussionListItem.unread .ReadToggle {
    display: none;
}

Top Bottom