What's the normal procedure for selling a license?

Dodgeboard

First off, this is not a solicitation to buy or sell anything. It's just a request for protocol advice. If this topic is not allowed, I apologize in advance.

I've been approached by someone who I don't know (in the UK) wanting to buy my "non-xf" license for $95 (full suite) . But they want me to initiate the transfer first and they will pay only after the transfer is completed. I kind of feel this is leaving me holding the bag, with no recourse. Is this the normal procedure or should I get payment prior to initiating transfer?

I even supplied all the screenshots showing it is valid, current and eligible for transfer but that doesn't seem to be enough....because apparently she was scammed last month and has had to initiate a paypal dispute. Ok, so she has Paypal as a recourse...what do I have?

It's no different to buying or selling anything else privately on the internet.

Use common sense and if you don't feel comfortable with the conditions, then walk away.

You could try using a third party/escrow, but not sure if that's expensive or reliable.

I'd be very wary, personally
Why not advertise it on say, webhostingtalk or some other forum like it, and sell to a known/trusted member?
I don't think it's worth the risk.

First off, this is not a solicitation to buy or sell anything. It's just a request for protocol advice. If this topic is not allowed, I apologize in advance.

I've been approached by someone who I don't know (in the UK) wanting to buy my "non-xf" license for $95 (full suite) . But they want me to initiate the transfer first and they will pay only after the transfer is completed. I kind of feel this is leaving me holding the bag, with no recourse. Is this the normal procedure or should I get payment prior to initiating transfer?

I even supplied all the screenshots showing it is valid, current and eligible for transfer but that doesn't seem to be enough....because apparently she was scammed last month and has had to initiate a paypal dispute. Ok, so she has Paypal as a recourse...what do I have?
That's the actual red flag. Never transfer to anyone before receiving your funds. Ever.

This person is scamming. I agree with others in being wary.

The person's sob story, might probably not be at all.

Seen this situation a million times.

They are just trying to scam you.

If they were a legitimate buyer they would have no issue paying first via paypal as they know they would be covered ;)

I think it's nothing but fair to pay 50% up front, rather than 100% afterwards. You run the full risk, and no way to come back from it. If you're playing them, they loose out 50% - a risk they should be willing to take buying secondhand. And if they are playing you, you get 50% - a risk you're willing to take.

Step 1, go to vBulletin.com and open a support ticket from the members' area, requesting info about your license ahead of a transfer. Asking them "I am looking to transfer one of my licenses, #NUMBER, and I want to confirm that it's eligible for a transfer. If it is eligible, which information do you require from me to get that process started? (my info, info you want me to ask the potential buyer)".

Step 2, review their response, and if it is eligible review if you a) want to sell it, and b) have the information they're looking for. And either move forward with things or not.

Step 3, if you decide to sell it, you can provide the license number (so NOT the customer number NOR any passwords) to the potential buyer, telling them they can confirm with vBulletin that the license is eligible and if they still want it to transfer 50% or 100% of the sale to you; After which you will start the transfer request.

< don't forget to uninstall vB from the locations it's running on >

Step 4, when you receive at least 50% of the money upfront, you can provide vBulletin in the ticket the info to get the transfer initiated, and either include the potential buyers info, or request them to provide it. The info being whatever vBulletin asks for.

Step 5, wait for vBulletin to complete the transfer, they will want you to 1) confirm you want to transfer it, and b) ask the potential buyer if they are certain and agree to any EULA, etc)

Step 6, when it's been completed, get the other 50%.

Buying and selling secondhand always comes with a risk. There are always scammers being utter douches trying to get someone to provide them with more info than they should share, or steal a license without paying, or sell one that's not actually real. The risk is at both parties, and you will only know afterwards of any traps or successful transfers.

I've done many in my lifetime with vBulletin and they have been successful. But I have always said no to every transfer that I had any doubts against. Don't feel comfortable with the person, they're not willing to provide the info you want? They are too cocky, and trying to speed things up without reason? Nah, whatever, moving on..

Best of luck.

Sounds like a scam to me, take payment upfront through PayPal and just pointblank refuse anything else they suggest. This is the specific information you need from the potential buyer when transferring a vBulletin license, I know because I recently went through the process of transferring to another individual myself.

- Full name
- Full Address
- Country
- Telephone number
- Billing address
- Valid and working Email address

Sounds like a scam to me, take payment upfront through PayPal and just pointblank refuse anything else they suggest. This is the specific information you need from the potential buyer when transferring a vBulletin license, I know because I recently went through the process of transferring to another individual myself.

- Full name
- Full Address
- Country
- Telephone number
- Billing address
- Valid and working Email address
You don't really need to receive that info, just let vBulletin know who to expect.

Allow the buyer to submit a ticket to vBulletin team, they will know who's legit, and who's not. Before or after. If they think that this person is being scammed, they will, indeed cancel the transfer... pronto.

When I sold my license with vBulletin I didn't really need to provide the buyer's information. I respect and honor people's privacy, at all costs.

If vBulletin asks for the details, that's what you have to provide them. If they don't, you don't have to.
When I transferred 5 licenses in 2010 they wanted some information from the buyer, hence why I included it.
If they these days don't desire any customer information prior to a transfer, that's fine by me too. Couldn't care less.

Top Bottom