Whats the best option for Xenforo (Share Hosting or VPS)

xTOPSECRETx

Whats the best option for Xenforo (Share Hosting or VPS)?

I'm using godaddy unlimited shared hosting - i like to get peoples feedback and moderators on what they are running their forums on?

How many users can the forum host under shared hosting?

Is it better off to kick start the project with VPS?

feedback is much appreciated.

I use shared hosting but every host differs so it's not really possible to give a definitive answer.

I haven't experienced any problems with 50 or so people online.

What levels of traffic are you anticipating?

For new xenforo or any new site, I would recommend shared hosting.

Once you have a good amount of traffic or your host asks you to upgrade, then you should consider a VPS or dedicated server.

I personally don't prefer VPS. I see it as a waste of resources and it requires almost the same knowledge of managing dedicated servers, but you will likely to encounter more problems with vps services even compared to dedicated, there are many more variables than dedicated that may potentially cause problems.

I suggest starting with a high quality shared hosting. As for how many users it would handle, it really depends on the host you choose. Don't go with cheap, overloaded providers. Many shared hosting providers don't even support innodb as it consumes more server resources. You don't even notice this unless you check your tables. Shared hosting is also faster than vps if you are not with a company which oversells. VPSs have cpu and memory limits and many other limits on the os level.

When you start looking for more control over things and/or your site grows really big. I suggest starting with a low end dedicated server with outdated technology hardware. Yes that's right. Go with a celeron dedicated instead of vps. You will have less problems and it will be much faster. There are 40$/month celeron/pentium dedicated servers.

I started with a small shared hosting, now I have a core i7 server with raid 10 and 8 gb ram which I manage myself. There are two xenforo sites and many other sites in the server.

Personally, I'd go with a managed XenForo VPS service. I'm not trying to prop myself here, but with a managed VPS, you can usually get most things done for you, and the environment is suited to your needs, probably more than a shared hosting package - not to mention, less security risks, better performance (potentially) etc.

Personally, I'd go with a managed XenForo VPS service. I'm not trying to prop myself here, but with a managed VPS, you can usually get most things done for you, and the environment is suited to your needs, probably more than a shared hosting package - not to mention, less security risks, better performance (potentially) etc.
What a self-serving promotional post.

What a self-serving promotional post.

Ok then.

On the other hand, not to self-promote again, shared hosting is good for the very small sites who do not need the space and don't envisage growing quickly such that more resources are required. Well, maybe not growing quickly at all.

I had always used shared hosting for my simple webpages but I anticipate my forum to be heavy with traffic (dont we all?) so I went with VPS this time. It was reasonably priced so I am happy.

Agreed when you comparing

A good managed VPS service provider (not necessarily your services but in general)

vs

shared hosting

As nature of shared hosting, most web hosts won't allow changes which affect all shared hosting accounts on same server.

I was using a shared host some time ago and found it quite frustrating with lack of control over the hosting environment even though their web-based control panel was fairly good. Plus, once in a while I would get server errors, coming and going, without any clear causes. So I switched to a VPS, made a simple default configuration and it seems to be working well. I also installed APC for PHP cashing, which I'm happy with and couldn't do on a shared host...

I started with a shared and moved up to a semi and then a VPS. You'll switch as soon as your site gains interest and some jackass on your shared server does something that affects your site ;)

I use shared hosting but every host differs so it's not really possible to give a definitive answer.

I haven't experienced any problems with 50 or so people online.

What levels of traffic are you anticipating?
Witch host do you use plz?

I'm reluctant to recommend them now, after having problems for the last week; MySQL is constantly restarting every hour or so and the host is unable to resolve the problem.

I'm considering switching hosts because of it.

I'm reluctant to recommend them now, after having problems for the last week; MySQL is constantly restarting every hour or so and the host is unable to resolve the problem.

Do you have candidates?

Shared hosting(when I originally used it) wasn't too much of a problem until I actually had some traffic, once you start to get any amount of traffic you will start to have problems, I am not even saying that the server can't handle it, it just seems that right when your traffic is picking up so are other sites. When I first started my shared host's server load was always around .20-.50 and then later on it wouldn't go below a 5.5 :confused:.

I'm still looking, i really want some proof of forums using this or that host so i can see for myself what is best...

I'm still looking, i really want some proof of forums using this or that host so i can see for myself what is best...

I host multiple xenforo installations on my server along with a crapload of wordpress sites , live streaming video via RTMP, a video sharing site, an irc daemon etc etc... I am using on this server a level 6 package from hostgator....the smallest package is just fine for a single xf installation... I have tried it. If I can run all this on a level six...

If you really want proof I can create you a package and throttle you to what a level 1 package is and you can try running xf on it yourself.
proof2.webp
My forum is xenxero.com but it is not really anything other than a place for me to learn to develop on. I can not tell you the names of the other forums running there as they are not mine and it would not be cool for me to disclose them. If you would like to try it out start a private conversation. Best of luck to yah

Any recommendations of good and reputable fully-managed VPS providers for XenForo?

Top Bottom