What's for Lunch?

Polk is a native weed commonly eaten from Mississippi to Oklahoma, you can find it canned some places in a grocery shelf but seems very regional. Fresh is the best. Some people cannot tell it from Spinach. There was even a song in the 60s called "poke salad Annie". Dock is a plant that grows next to the creek and is what you would call a pot green like turnip greens. Optima is cactus fruit, It is found wild here and it is in the grocery store but it is less common here than in West Texas. Sandplum is a sour fruit from a plant that is often used as hedges here but can be found all over the place here. Squaw bread is a heavy slightly sweet muti-grain black bread.

The fields here are almost a grocery store if you know what things are. This is a wild guess but I bet there are probably 40 different edible plants the grow wild here. Black berries, walnut, pecan, currants, water cress, purslane, rock cress, Jeruselem artichoke, at least four kinds of wild grapes, wild onions (about the size of a large grape) and so on.

I wonder if this is a common practice here because of the nature of this location. I am almost willing to bet that food is growing most places and people don't know it but here we have a large native population. There are more natives here than any other place in the US. The Otoe, Ponca, Wyndotte, and Iowa tribes are just to the south of me. The Kaw is to the east, to the west is the Tonkawa. The Pawnee are a a ways off but are to the South. We have traditionalists and what are known as apples. Apples are red on the outside white on the inside, well, that is what the traditionalists call them. I almost think that is part of why taking food from the field is more common here than some other places.

I wonder if this is a common practice here because of the nature of this location. I am almost willing to bet that food is growing most places and people don't know it but here we have a large native population. There are more natives here than any other place in the US. The Otoe, Ponca, Wyndotte, and Iowa tribes are just to the south of me. The Kaw is to the east, to the west is the Tonkawa. The Pawnee are a a ways off but are to the South.
Very kewl! I'm 1/2 Cherokee. My biological father was full-blooded.

Ah, the Cherokee are quite aways to the east of here close to a place called Tahlequah. The Cherokee that live on native lands share with with what are called the Freemen. Most of the natives today are apples but there are still quite a few that are not. Most are also no longer on native lands but the lands are still active.

Well I just took this thread off topic. Since you are half native. I have some picture of last years Otoe pow-wow someplace. Going to go look.

LOVE the pics and your commentaries. I never had the chance to delve into my cherokee heritage. Long story.
You are very fortunate.

I got curious. I wondered if the outdoor grocery store was available elsewhere. I decided to check someplace populated and a little less wild to see if you can grab lunch while walking around.

Here is the UK.

http://www.eatweeds.co.uk/

Oh my, the UK is a buffet

http://www.torrens.org.uk/FFF/index2.html

Here must be quite a few edibles I am missing here. Food just walking around is easily available here but this being a wilder place I expected more than I would see in the UK. The UK list is quite long, I bet there are more edibles here that I am not aware of.

We visited the Yavapai-Apache Nation when we lived in AZ and got to taste some great things. Half I don't even try to pronounce. I got a couple of fry bread recipes which is what we are having tonight with the trimmings to make tacos and desert with syrup and strawberries.

Top Bottom