1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.1 What to do for 403 errors in GWT from goto/post?id=xxx links?

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by DJ XtAzY, Aug 16, 2013.

1. DJ XtAzY

DJ XtAzY Active Member

So I have a bunch of Access Denied 403 errors in my Google Webmaster Tool. Most of the errors are related to goto/post?id=XXXX links, which comes from a quote box referring to the original post. Now I think most of these goto links point to posts that were already removed from public view. What should I do to prevent these errors from showing up in GWT? I don't think undeleting those posts is the right way to do it.

2. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

You could edit the appropriate quote BBCode template to add nofollow to those links

3. ForexTalk

ForexTalk Member

Sorry to bump this old thread but I got the same problem as user above. Can you please explain more details about your fix?

Thanks.

4. Jeremy

Edit bb_code_tag_quote and find:
    Code:
                        <a href="{xen:link 'goto/{$source.type}', '', 'id={$source.id}'}#{$source.type}-{$source.id}" class="AttributionLink">&uarr;</a>

Add a rel="nofollow" to the tag.

5. cmeinck

cmeinck Well-Known Member

Similarly, could you add a rel="noindex" tag? I've blocked /goto/ in robots.txt, but just like here at XenForo, Google seems to be indexing them.

Would it look like this?
    Code:

<xen:if is="{$source}">
                        <a href="{xen:link 'goto/{$source.type}', '', 'id={$source.id}'}#{$source.type}-{$source.id}" class="AttributionLink" rel="noindex">&uarr;</a>
                    </xen:if>

6. Jeremy

It would follow the same principle, yes.

7. cmeinck

cmeinck Well-Known Member

If as in my case, they are indexed, you'd have to remove the robots.txt blocking. It's bizarre that Google indexes what amounts to a 301, even if it's blocked.

8. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

For reference, Google doesn't use noindex on links; it's a page level <meta> option. There isn't really a way to make a link that Google explicitly ignores. Nofollow is the best you can do, but it's not necessarily a guarantee that it won't follow it. Even robots.txt doesn't stop it from seeing the link (as evidenced by seeing them in the search results).

9. Joe Link

Joe Link Well-Known Member

Is any of this recommended, or should we just put up with the errors in GWT?

10. caoanh204

caoanh204 Active Member

I can fix them.