What single 'new feature' would benefit xenForo customers most?

Rob

As the flow of bugs and fixes begins to subside work will no doubt commence on a feature building release. Some already released mods will I'm sure end up being adopted into the base code and we all hope some ideas from the suggestions forum are tagged for inclusion too.

Hopefully this thread will spark a discussion of ideas that will most improve the customisability of xenForo.

For me, I think the single most powerful addition to make would be 'custom thread fields'. If this were done in such a way as to allow the definition of content types, to extend 'threads' with additional fields then we could specify which forums use which content types.... and which templates a content type should use. This will open up a huge realm of possible customisations to the forum owner.

What ideas do you have?

I'd say a CMS but what we really want is a front page portal for news stories, rather than a fully blown CMS.

This actually isn't too far away from your suggestion. An article content type where the custom thread fields included things like "news topic" and "source" which could then have a custom style applied would effectively be a a news portal.

Moved from Installation and Upgrade Problems to Pre-Sales and Feedback.

Custom thread fields has been suggested here: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/suggestion-custom-thread-fields.1267/

xenForo v.2.1 said:
It looks like you are posting in the wrong forum... did you mean to post this in 'Installation and Upgrade Problems?'
Odd... dunno why I posted it there!

Yeah, I know that, this thread isnt about that exactly, I had hoped it would be used to discuss modifications that will bring the MOST customisability to xF.

Thanks Brogan :)

For me, custom user fields are critical. And, a Calendar of sorts.

The more I look at Wordpress and Joomla! and the possibility of bridging to them, the less I think CMS is needed for xF. Either can be downloaded for free, and are excellent at what they do. So a change of mind for me now, rather than trying to emulate vB4 and be a jack of all trades (and master of none) I'd prefer xenForo to concentrate on being a killer forum product.

A sophisticated "who's online" for administrators more advanced than anything we have seen, with the ability to block users directly from the screen based on things like common user agents which could be shown in different colors when some bot operator is hitting with common user agents on 10 IP's, so it would show him in a different or unique color than others.

Hmm,

Honestly the one feature that would perhaps most benefit customers isn't necessarily a feature of XenForo software. It's about XenForo developers taking a step forward. Not relying on old habits, old ways of doing things, I want them to take a step forward with community software.

The key features I would include:
  • A resolve to remove fear and silence about controversial topics. Approach old topics new ways.
  • A realization that there is no such thing as atoning for laziness. Good in one area, doesn't cover for a lack of effort in others.
  • A commitment to remain hungry. Hungry to make a difference for the customer and for their communities.
I belive that behaviors will drive XenForo development and the feature I most desire is one that always is taking a step forward.

Top Bottom