What Server Control Panel do you use?

Autonamus

As the title says, I am wondering what Server Control panels people use.

I have been using Virtualmin for a while not but am growing to dislike the way it does things so I was wondering what everyone else uses.

Normally I would stick with pure command line but I am not the only one who does the control panel things so I can't rely on the other person with me to know the commands and what not.

So yeah, what do you use?

I use Webmin and like it a lot. From what I understand, Virtualmin is for controlling multiple servers. Do you have more than one server?
I used too and just stuck with Virtualmin.

But webmin still has all the things I don't like anymore.

Direct Admin
http://www.directadmin.com

• Supports multiple OS's (Debian, CentOS, FreeBSD, RedHat, Fedora)
  • Has everything Webmin / Virtualmin offers
  • Has most everything cPanel offers
  • Uses fewer resources than cPanel
  • Is cheaper (cost less) than cPanel (you can actually own it & not have to lease it)
  • Is kept up to date

Direct Admin
http://www.directadmin.com

• Supports multiple OS's (Debian, CentOS, FreeBSD, RedHat, Fedora)
  • Has everything Webmin / Virtualmin offers
  • Has most everything cPanel offers
  • Uses fewer resources than cPanel
  • Is cheaper (cost less) than cPanel (you can actually own it & not have to lease it)
  • Is kept up to date

Agreed! DA is a good panel. DirectAdmin is definitely going to be cheaper as well. You can also purchase a lifetime license if you plan on using it for a long time. Your datacenter can also likely get you really good prices on monthly licenses. If you're running a VPS, it's only $5/mo., which isn't too bad.

When I looked at the Direct Admin demo, I wasn't sure if there is a File Manager. Webmin has a nice File Manager. Could someone with Direct Admin print a screen of the File Manager showing the folders.

Thank you all for the information.

I checked out Direct Admin when I fest set the server up a few years back, I will check it out again and see if it's easy enough for them to use!

You're welcome!

I've used Webmin, and am very familiar with it. cPanel has a better file manager than DirectAdmin too, but for the price, you really can't beat DA.

You're welcome!

I've used Webmin, and am very familiar with it. cPanel has a better file manager than DirectAdmin too, but for the price, you really can't beat DA.

Webmin is free.

I've only used Webmin, so can't compare. But I'm curious how you would compare Webmin to DirectAdmin and cPanel.

Webmin is free.

I know...I mean as far as paid panels are concerned. cPanel, IMO can't be beat. It is very, very extensive. Do you need it for managing your own server? Probably not. Something cheaper will suffice. But everything is really easy and highly straight-forward.

I used Webmin for years and always liked it. Used to set that up for clients who needed a free panel.

Webuzo is actually another [newer] option for a simple control panel with LAMP stack. There is a paid and free version. We offer it as a template with our VPSs and have gotten a lot of positive feedback from clients. It's really simple, really easy to use, but has a lot of nice features...email, FTP, DNS, etc.

Same as me, but he stated that was his choice also, but there are others that have to admin it and they are not comfortable with command line (lot of people aren't).
I understood that, it was my way of saying: "If you need a panel, I will not grant you access to my server." :)
It looks to me that the File Manager is a lot nicer in Webmin.
It looks like CentOS offers a file manager (Midnight Commander) since Release 3, if "ls -lah" is too hard. :)
man mc

Last edited:
I very much prefer DirectAdmin which is around 90 USD for a lifetime license over the expensive Plesk which I do not like at all. Currently I use the "panel" from Open Litespeed, most of things are done now without a panel and I prefer that to DirectAdmin.

Being on Directadmin for 6 years and just moved to WHM/cPanel. WOW, what a difference. Now I understand why cPanel charge whatever they charge, and why directadmin sucks.

Reactions: Dan
Top Bottom