What music do you listen to while working/coding?

Erik

Or do you not listen to any music at all?

Currently for me it's the Assassin's Creed II soundtrack, although that's getting pretty old quickly. I almost always listen to music while working. It gives the unconscious portion of my brain something to process and if it's a soundtrack it makes my work feel 3x as important. :D

Then again, it can be distracting sometimes, especially when trying to read something like an article. So, do you listen to any music while working, or do you prefer to keep it quiet? :D

Spotify is a godsend for stuff like this. I can just hit up any album I feel like and let it stream. Only downside is those annoyingly loud advertisements. :mad:

Some listed below are some of the groups I regularly listen to. Whenever I'm working I have to listen to music. A quiet surrounding forces that devs worst nightmare of "staring at the screen" waiting for something to happen. :D
  • RHCP
  • Disturbed
  • SOAD
  • Armin van Buuren

Not a ``coder'' here... but when in the studio, usually it's the kiddo's DVD menu music wafting in from the other room, looping endlessly !

My MP3 player hooked up to a small stereo on random, anything from old skool heavy metal to Techno to a bit of Skip Hop to Disco to all sorts of stuff :)

Right now, it's Tower of Power, Blood Sweat & Tears, Chicago and various other soul, R&B and horn bands from the 70's & 80's as I'm currently in a project that covers these bands.

Disturbed
Godsmack
Art Of Dying (anyone who likes Disturbed, check 'em out - they're touring w/them)
and... Eminem :p

Dvorak, Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash, Fanta 4, most everything.

I love music with hidden gems. So of course I loved it when I found out Aphex Twin's [mathematical formula] song featured a face in the spectrogram.
Spectrogram_-_Aphex_Twin_-_Windowlicker.png

Or do you not listen to any music at all?

Currently for me it's the Assassin's Creed II soundtrack, although that's getting pretty old quickly. I almost always listen to music while working. It gives the unconscious portion of my brain something to process and if it's a soundtrack it makes my work feel 3x as important. :D

Then again, it can be distracting sometimes, especially when trying to read something like an article. So, do you listen to any music while working, or do you prefer to keep it quiet? :D

Spotify is a godsend for stuff like this. I can just hit up any album I feel like and let it stream. Only downside is those annoyingly loud advertisements. :mad:

some FM ... nothing more :)

Some listed below are some of the groups I regularly listen to. Whenever I'm working I have to listen to music. A quiet surrounding forces that devs worst nightmare of "staring at the screen" waiting for something to happen. :D
  • RHCP
  • Disturbed
  • SOAD
  • Armin van Buuren
See above and add

O Fortuna (Carmina Burana aka "The Omen music") - the family/friends says it's my theme tune hehehe
Aerosmith
Marilyn Manson
Counting Crows
Black Crows
Aerosmith
GNR
Green Day

randomly mix in:-

Adam Ant
Aerosmith
Sweet
The Kinks