What is your development machine?

Razasharp

Mine used to be a Mac Pro (the most powerful machine I have ever owned). Now it is a tiny Macbook Air - incredible little thing! I love the freedom it gives you - I got tired of being chained to the desk all the time and took a gamble on it - not regretted it at all!

Last edited:
MacBook Pro here but prior to that I had a Core i3 basic laptop. You don't need much power to develop web stuff; but of course it is nicer to have more if possible. I upgraded my MBP to a SSD and it has 8GB of RAM.

Mac mini atm, planning to get make a budget gaming rig for 1K and use 4K monitor from seiki and install hackintosh on it! :P

I'm back and forth between a powerful workstation, and a crappy laptop. It has trained me to use resources effectively... I work exclusively out of a terminal (vim/tmux/zsh, etc.) so I can utilize the workstation's power remotely when needed.

Workstation:
i7 3700
16GB of RAM
Ubuntu 12.04
Two 1920x1080 monitors

Laptop:
Dual 2.2GHz
3GB of RAM
Ubuntu 12.04
1920x1080 display

I'm back and forth between a powerful workstation, and a crappy laptop. It has trained me to use resources effectively... I work exclusively out of a terminal (vim/tmux/zsh, etc.) so I can utilize the workstation's power remotely when needed.

Workstation:
i7 3700
16GB of RAM
Ubuntu 12.04
Two 1920x1080 monitors

Laptop:
Dual 2.2GHz
3GB of RAM
Ubuntu 12.04
1920x1080 display

I used MacVim for a while (http://astonj.com/tech/vim-for-ruby-rails-and-a-sexy-theme/) but am back on text mate 2 for now. Partly because after a reformat nodetree stopped playing and I needed to get some stuff done urgently - must say I kinda like TM2, thing I miss most from vim is split screens - I'd often have several files open at once.

Vim is pretty great. Unfortunately it requires getting used to a few oddities and treating your config. as another development project. That could be good or bad, based on how you treat your computer. My original reason for switching was my laptop couldn't efficiently run Eclipse. The workstation, sure, just dedicate a few GB to the JVM and it flies. Couldn't go back now though.

Somewhat unrelated, but it's amazing the solutions you find when you are under constraints. More power is not always the best answer.

Top Bottom