What is Xenforo's Stability as a Company? Will it be around in the future?

Francisco Meza

I like the Xenforo software and am interested in purchasing it. My main concern is since Xenforo's a new company, it might not grow the subscriber base large enough to stay in business. I am giving my next project 100% of my efforts. Can anyone share something on the stability of Xenforo as a business (not as the stability of the software) to help us prospective buyers?

IGN is moving to XenForo, as well as Digital Point which is currently in the process of doing so. There's also quite a number of other medium to large sites that have transferred or are transferring to XenForo.

If they're making the move already, you can bet they believe XenForo will be around for some time. ;) Plus, with 2 established programmers building XF, we're confident they're not going anywhere.

Well let's look at the history of other forum software companies; it's not like the risk of bankruptcy is very high, even with the worst solutions out there. Their advantage is that they do not have high fixed costs, which is obviously an important factor when you need to pay your bills at the end of the month. Of course there is the ongoing case with vB, but XenForo seems to be healthy so far and there is no indication that the company can't cope with it.

I think if you are worried about the finances I have a feeling the members out here will not let them fail because of it. I have a feeling if it gets to the point people will come out of the woodwork buying licenses and doing what they can to keep things afloat.

While xenforo is a private company and does not have any requirement to disclose their financial status, my personal opinion is that the company appears to be growing fairly well and continue to further their market penetration.

I also speculate that they have lower overhead costs than their main competitors as I do not believe they rent office space (a huge expense for any company) and have fewer employees on the payroll.

With that said, nothing in life is guaranteed and in the event you find yourself in need of an alternate solution (for whatever reason) you should have a high level plan in place for how you would migrate. That goes for any software or component you rely on, not just xenforo or the forums.

With that said, nothing in life is guaranteed and in the event you find yourself in need of an alternate solution (for whatever reason) you should have a high level plan in place for how you would migrate. That goes for any software or component you rely on, not just xenforo or the forums.
Also worth pointing out, if the worst did happen, your forum would still work the day after, worst case is that you'd have to find a new forum package.

Well, everyone is talking about money...what if (God forbid) anyone from the xF team passes away? The lawsuit isn't even a concern anymore for me. I'm just curious as to their back up plan in the event of a death.

Well, everyone is talking about money...what if (God forbid) anyone from the xF team passes away? The lawsuit isn't even a concern anymore for me. I'm just curious as to their back up plan in the event of a death.

Event of a death?
Mike's 27... Kier's 25 (I think)? I'm not sure if they'll have a backup plan in the event of a death.

Event of a death?
Mike's 27... Kier's 25 (I think)? I'm not sure if they'll have a backup plan in the event of a death.

It's the "hit by a bus" scenario. If Kier gets hit by a bus, how will XF continue to be developed? (for example)

All businesses should have a COOP: Continuity of Operations Plan. We work on ours weekly. If I die, who will take on my role until a permanent replacement can be found? Can someone walk into my office and pick up where I left off? Are SOPs in place? etc

It's the "hit by a bus" scenario. If Kier gets hit by a bus, how will XF continue to be developed? (for example)

All businesses should have a COOP: Continuity of Operations Plan. We work on ours weekly. If I die, who will take on my role until a permanent replacement can be found? Can someone walk into my office and pick up where I left off? Are SOPs in place? etc

The rumors of XenForo's demise have been greatly exaggerated.

I like the Xenforo software and am interested in purchasing it. My main concern is since Xenforo's a new company, it might not grow the subscriber base large enough to stay in business. I am giving my next project 100% of my efforts. Can anyone share something on the stability of Xenforo as a business (not as the stability of the software) to help us prospective buyers?
The amount of members is = the number of subscribers in my view.

Even though that xenForo is new as a company, their expertise is very strong. Mr. Darby founded and managed a 3D company before entering vBulletin as a software developer/lead developer. He and Mike Sullivan were responsible for the vB3 series of software, and to some extent the vB4 series, until he left the company.

What it boils down to is the on-going lawsuit with Internet Brands, that's it. Nothing else. But even with the lawsuit, xenForo seems to be doing a lot better than a lot of the forum software solutions that were sued by larger corporations.

Reading this thread talking about new forum company success reminded me of that other forum software started by those few people that left vBSEO. Can't think of the name now, but they a use a Gorilla a lot called "Igor". Anyway, my point it that it seems to have pretty much failed to me when you look at how that has done since compared to how XenForo has moved onwards at a fast rate.

The stability issue is one that I face in my business too - I mean I get asked the same question about long term security for my clients.

What I say is that with me they get a small outfit with low overheads, lots of personal attention and flexibility. Typical of a good SMALL project.
Having seen my husband die on the pillow next to me with no warning, I know just how uncertain life can be. (Oh I resuscitated him and that was 20 years ago, still ridiculously devoted :) )
But the truth is I can't guarantee long term continuity like a big company can. I could replace anyone else in the project but it'd be very tough for them to replace me. Might do it with 3 people but that puts up the overheads.

Now if they go with a big company they get the stability. But they also get bureaucracy, distant management, switchboard paralysis listening to muzak, inefficiency through size or left hand doesn't know what right hand does. The level of enthusiasm to look after a client is rarely so high. The attention to detail on the product is not so high because responsibility is spread around.

If you want flexibility, humanity, individual attention, high standard product - go for a young small company. Work with them, help them shape the product how you want it.
If you feel stability over the years is paramount go for the big established company. But the price is distance management, you're a number not an individual, the product is unlikely to be so lovingly designed and produced. Basically what YOU want ,matters a lot less.

Your choice.

you have the chance to buy a great software-product for a few dollars.
Where is the issue ?

If you want flexibility, humanity, individual attention, high standard product - go for a young small company. Work with them, help them shape the product how you want it.
This is true. Most small companies go above, and beyond for customers especially if they're trying to build their own company.

Start-ups are the best companies to go with if you want a solution done for your ideal solution.

This is true. Most small companies go above, and beyond for customers especially if they're trying to build their own company.

Start-ups are the best companies to go with if you want a solution done for your ideal solution.

small is beautiful

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Top Bottom