1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what is the name of this plant?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by pk698, Jul 27, 2011.

1. pk698

pk698 Active Member

been trying to search all day for a name, but no luck. went hiking today and someone asked me but I didn't know the name. (there should be an app for this situation)

cool weeds 1.jpg

cool weeds.jpg

2. Edrondol

Edrondol Well-Known Member

Where are you located and where were you hiking?

3. pk698

pk698 Active Member

eugene, oregon

4. Edrondol

5. pk698

pk698 Active Member

That's it! lol, thanks.

(would be cool to have an app where you take a pic, and it searches/match it to a database and tells you what it is).

6. Edrondol

Strangely enough, I couldn't find anything on Google. It looked like a thistle to me so I was searching for Oregon thistle. Nothing. But I did find it on Bing using the same parameters, which led me to the Teasel.

My Google-fu is strong!

Peggy likes this.
  7. turtile

turtile Well-Known Member

That wouldn't be possible since the differences between species and even genera can't be identified by a picture. Many flowering plants need to be in flower to be properly identified, certain parts of the plants show certain differences...

I want to create an electronic key for my site but it would take a whole team of people to complete. The key for North America is 30 volumes!