What is the first website you remember going to online?

Steven S - were you on the FM forums on AOL? I was a regular there and posted scripts, etc.
No, just on CIS. Had free online time when in the Filemaker forum.
My last place I worked runs everything from parts orders to service invoices on FM.

No, just on CIS. Had free online time when in the Filemaker forum.
My last place I worked runs everything from parts orders to service invoices on FM.

Did y'all know that AOL used to PAY the forum admins based on how much time the public spent in their forums! As an example, I knew a 13 year old who ran the "teen programming" forum there and he made tens of thousands of dollars a year!

This all ended when AOL stopped charging per minute.......since then there was no revenue to share!

Did y'all know that AOL used to PAY the forum admins based on how much time the public spent in their forums! As an example, I knew a 13 year old who ran the "teen programming" forum there and he made tens of thousands of dollars a year

Don Watkins of PC Forums on CompuServe was into the hundreds of thousands, employees, etc it was a nice business for the contracted sysops...very similar to the web forums of today, the direct ancestor.

Whatever Prodigy's portal page was, that's probably the first actual website I went to. But the first one I can actually remember... hamsterdance.com

Whatever Prodigy's portal page was, that's probably the first actual website I went to. But the first one I can actually remember... hamsterdance.com
Ah Prodigy. Owned in part by Sears if I remember correctly. Constantly ads running.

Do you know that THIS is!!??

compaqI_be80609d-c8e7-4ceb-81c0-ad6cd2e791b6.jpg

PS No one named the "The Dark Wizard" can be nineteen.
I have been "The Dark Wizard" since I was 12.

I also have no idea what that contraption is, I assume some really really old model of a computer or some other.

I can remember Compuserve as provider for internet access but before that BBS and Packet Radio with gateways to the internet that where the times.

I have been "The Dark Wizard" since I was 12.

I also have no idea what that contraption is, I assume some really really old model of a computer or some other.

Contraption!? Contraption!? My god, he called my old light saber a "contraption". It's an elegant weapon of a more civilized day.

I remember buying those Compaq portables and bringing them home and being amazed at the Basic Graphics Demonstration included - that drew lines on the screen! Of course, these computers had no graphics otherwise - all text based.....

I used my early Computers for some record keeping (DB) and it was funny watching them choke on even the smallest db's! They used some kind of a sort which worked fine for a couple hundred records, but at 1000 or so it took forever!

$2995 with two 5.25 Drives. A bargain.

I visited a very early internet show in Boston and there was a booth with the Yahoo guys and also one with some guys with a new search engine called Excite. Both booths had the original founders in them and were just tables and a banner - no fancy displays...and the guys smelled like they slept on a dorm room floor the night before!

I remember chatting with the Excite guys about what makes their Search Engine better....and, amazingly enough, I actually understood what they were talking about!

I think the very first time I used the Internet was like... 1998 or something. Yeah, I was very late to the party, but hey, I was only 10 at the time. Anyway, I think it was some Disney-affiliated site, probably related to one of their movies.

I had AOL dial-up until I finally got broadband in 2005.

I remember when The Internet was phone numbers. Each site had its own number. Dial-up was slower then 14.4k. Everything was in TEXT and no graphics.

Then there was IP addresses, still no www yet. Around this time, everything was 99% TEXT and they didn't technically have photos, it was colored Text & Symbol patters.

My first www website was CompuServe (oddly they are still around, but own by AOL)

University of Nebraska @ Omaha in 1988. Dialup. Text menu, Archie and Gopher.

Top Bottom