XF 1.5 What is the board message total based upon?

The homepage on my AdminCP and the forum homepage say that we have just over 3,023,700 posts (it was like this before but I just ran the board totals cron job to be sure).

However in my xf_post table there are 3,090,353 rows. The post IDs go over 3,229,000.

What is the board total based upon? Having done a few tests, soft deleting a post doesn't reduce the count although a hard delete does. Even if I do a SQL Query for posts that only show as 'visible,' or 'visible' AND 'moderated' it still shows fewer than 3,023,700 rows in the table.

How can I accurately determine how many posts I have (I'm trying to identify the 3 Millionth post), and what is the post count based upon, as it doesn't appear to be based upon the number of posts that exist in the database?

The totals are based on counters that get incremented whenever a post is made and decremented whenever one is deleted via a moderation action - but the counters do not decrease if posts are deleted via a direct database query or a prune action etc.,

Ultimately, the number of posts in your xf_post table is how many posts you have, but if your post IDs go beyond 3m, then post_id=3,000,000 would be the three millionth post to your board, even if that many no longer exist in the DB.

Thanks for your prompt reply Kier. I tested by posting a post and running the counters whilst the forum was disabled, it increased the board total by 1. I then deleted it (soft delete) via my Admin account and the post count stayed the same after I ran the cron job.

When I upgraded to xF start of Oct the board total was about 2,930,000, and now it is about 3,023,000. However row 3,000,000 dates from Sept.

Top Bottom