What is the best hosting company (Dedicated Servers) ?

I've used WiredTree both for their VPS and Dedicated Server service. Both are top notch in terms of support and the servers performed well. Also think about location, they are Chicago-based so if you need a particular location you should make mention of that as well. :)

Hello
What is the best hosting company (Dedicated Servers) competition for the company (hostgator)?

Thanks

Anybody!! Seriously...anybody is better than HG's dedicated servers. They are overpriced, underpowered, and run their infamous virtualization layer on their dedicated boxes. WiredTree and Knownhost are both good when it comes to dedicated server management, though you will need to use cPanel with both companies (I haven't checked in a while, but that used to be the case). Not a big deal, but just wanted to disclose that in case you aren't used to using a panel.

As was mentioned, you could always obtain 3rd party management services either monthly, or when you specifically need them. I would personally recommend Rack911 over any of the one-man-shows here any day of the week. They are truly available 24/7, will respond to your tickets within minutes, and are hands down the most knowledgeable admin team I've ever dealt with. They are going to be more expensive, but if you pay peanuts you get monkeys.

un-managed with http://www.choopa.com, been with them many many years now and staffed by great systems engineers. This kind of thread is like talking about cars though, everyone has their favorites and no one drives a 1984 volvo

I'd check out either Softlayer
I've been with softlayer for 6 years
SoftLayer (aka IBM) is now the worlds worst spam-hosting ISP. Anti-spam communities/organisations such as spamhaus and now refusing to remove their ip ranges from their blacklist filters, despite SoftLayer even responding to abuse complaints - the constant repeat offending rate is just too high. Some ISP's are even starting to network block SoftLayer's entire ip address ownership block because the problem has gotten so bad. Spam researchers are saying that over 40% of all outbound email originating from SoftLayer's networks is spam!

Ref: https://www.spamhaus.org/statistics/networks/

SoftLayer (aka IBM) is now the worlds worst spam-hosting ISP. Anti-spam communities/organisations such as spamhaus and now refusing to remove their ip ranges from their blacklist filters, despite SoftLayer even responding to abuse complaints - the constant repeat offending rate is just too high. Some ISP's are even starting to network block SoftLayer's entire ip address ownership block because the problem has gotten so bad. Spam researchers are saying that over 40% of all outbound email originating from SoftLayer's networks is spam!

Ref: https://www.spamhaus.org/statistics/networks/
Wow that is troubling. I still love the hosting and support but that is not good.

Interesting with the spam. I left Softlayer years ago, not too long after Softlayer took over. We had racks of servers with ThePlanet (and EV1), and as soon as Softlayer came in, everything went to hell. We had incorrect drives formatted (even in completely wrong servers), wrong servers randomly being accessed and rebooted, etc. ThePlanet was PHENOMENAL. The SL folks seemed like a bunch of amateurs, who had absolutely no clue what they're doing. And looking at WHT, the same types of stories are still out there fairly recently.

That said, their network is rock solid, and has been as long as I can remember. Now that IBM has taken over, who knows? It seems like they are not at all interested in dealing with the small folks anymore, and are moving toward the enterprise side of things, with corporations. And now that they have cut their bandwidth by ludicrous amounts, I'm not sure why anybody in their right mind would ever go with them for a dedicated box. Only 500GB outgoing transfer included, with 20TB costing $1,000??? There are plenty of comparable networks out there these days, at a tiny fraction of the price.

The Planet and Everyone's Internet.. Now those are names I haven't heard in many years.. We can't forget FooNet either :)

Top Bottom