What is a reasonable timeframe for bug fixes on paid add-ons?

How long is a reasonable time to wait for the bug to be fixed?

• 3 days or less

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • 3 days to 1 week

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • 1 week to 2 weeks

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • 2 weeks to 4 weeks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4+ weeks

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mouth

Firstly, this is not affecting me or a 'friend' but does affect us all, from time to time, and a discussion today (that I'm not involved in - just reading posts) prompted me to open the discussion and wonder on the general consensus.

So, the scenario is that you've purchased an add-on that the dev (or seller) has not stated that it comes as-in or without support/fixes. You install the add-on and you immediately get a bug that causes your add-on (or worse, the forum) not to work - either at all, or main/core functionality.

For sure the complexity of the add-on and the complex nature of the bug impacts, so for the sake of this discussion lets say it's a medium level functionality add-on, and an apparent medium level bug. Where medium complexity equals something like extending user conversations and the bug causes that functionality not to work (throwing a 'blue screen of death' style error to the user whenever they click/activate this add-on).

IMO 3 days or less low or medium level bugs.. This is something you purchased.. In the real world things are fixed fast.. virtual should be no different. What I find fustrating the most is when the bug is put on the back burner and you see the developer releasing or updating other add-ons rather then fixing the issues with said bug add-on.. Even if it is one or two people reporting said bug, it was still purchased and should be top of the list right under already reported bugs.. Not OMG look at this new add-on I made send me 40.00 more bucks for this one and maybe someday I'll get around to fixing that bug on the other app ppl can't use cause of it.

For a paid plugin, I'd have to agree that 1-3 days is sufficient for minor bug fixes.

What I find fustrating the most is when the bug is put on the back burner and you see the developer releasing or updating other add-ons rather then fixing the issues with said bug add-on..

What chaps my hide even quicker is seeing the developer rush to make sure someone can purchase it, but not a single peep for bugs being reported for months in their support forum.

Depends on the situation, id say give them a week to get back to you with an eta on a fix.

Give them a nudge once, then leave them at least a week. Personally, I sometimes forget if I'm really busy, so appreciate the nudges

Things that break straight away aren't good, but if it's a clash, it's not always the devs fault

If I'm not that busy, I can make fixes on the that day... but there are some things that aren't so easy to fix, and if there aren't even steps to reproduce, don't expect them to be able to fix it fast.
The more information you can provide the developer, often leads to a faster fix (especially if you explain it step by step and let them know you appreciate their help)

(Enhancements... well, these can take months / if ever (pending if the dev agrees with it / has time for it))

If it doesn't get fixed after a week, and you don't really want it if it's going to take longer, ask them politely if they might refund (I know I would)

To me it depends on the severity of the error. Does it break stuff you just plain can't have broken? In that case it needs to be fixed now...unless, of course, it's a conflict between 2 addons, then you have to figure out which one is a need and which one is a want.

But for the most part it must be addressed within a couple days at the very least or I won't trust the author any longer. Even if it's not fixed, it needs to be addressed and acknowledged.

Top Bottom