What host should I use?

tommydamic68

Hello all,
I am currently hosting my vb3 site with Hostgator.com on a shared server. I have appproximatly 240,000 posts and 7000+ members.

I have never really had any problems with Hostgator, been with them for 4 years. Also, I have really been holding back from going to VPS due to the price tag it comes with. I do get mysql errors -max connections daily, about 5 times through out the day during busy times on the site.

Should I:

1. Stay with Hostgator - a shared server is fine if I upgrade to Xenforo.
2. Upgrade to a VPS and continue WITH HOSTGATOR- Is my site big enough for needing a VPS?
3. Another host? - better recommendation if I am upgrading to a VPS anyway?

Thanks in advance!

-Tom

It'd be useful to know roughly how many members/guests you have online at once. That's the most important factor for seeing what sort of hardware you need.

Depending on what you want to pay, I recommend looking at nimbushosting. Lots of XF sites are hosted on there and they have excellent customer service but it really comes down to your requirements and budget :-)

It'd be useful to know roughly how many members/guests you have online at once. That's the most important factor for seeing what sort of hardware you need.

Depending on what you want to pay, I recommend looking at nimbushosting. Lots of XF sites are hosted on there and they have excellent customer service but it really comes down to your requirements and budget :)

Thanks for the reply, there are generally during most parts of the day roughly 20-30 members at one time and 80 - 100 guests including bots. I do have a lot of mods plus VBSEO which my host claims these items cause additional connections causing the server errors.

My Google Adsense, generally would probably cover the cost of a VPS most months, with that being said, not sure if I need that much power with such a small site. Don't want to spend it if i don't have to!

More mods generally mean more queries and hence more resources being used. Having said that, people generally find that XF is much more efficient than VB in terms of what resources it requires.

I'd imagine that your current shared server would still be fine for XF but if you do think of moving to a VPS, I'd maybe drop nimbus an email. They're normally very good at working our your requirements for you and their cloud VPS servers start from around £20/month.

Yes it it based in the US for the most part- but I have members from all over the world as well. I did just speak to Nimbus and and the only thing I didn't like that I currently have with Hostgator is a free weekly back up of my site. Nimbus charges from 4.50 to 7.50 for onsite backups. That's a downer for me. Going from 10 bucks from my current shared server to 30 bucks a month for a VPS is doable - but the extra back up charge is just too much.

Last edited:
@tommydamic68 where are you from, if I can ask you? I am from Slovakia, but I am hosting in Czech Republic. You can pay half price of that what you are paying now I guess, just changing the country where you will host your site. I am paying for a shared hosting 3 € per month. I have daily 1.500 visitors, at the same time not more than 30-40 visitors.

I have never really had any problems with Hostgator,

I do get mysql errors -max connections daily

Doesn't really make sense. If my host would ever tell me that one of my softwares is "too havey" on the server without giving me a realistic solution (upgrading/configure the server so it would work), I wouldn't stay with this host.

Hostgator known for their lack of services, you can read enough horror stories about them at
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/

Top Bottom