XF 1.4 What happens to existing users if you change your Facebook App/Google App etc?

markku

Users who have signed up with Facebook / Google / Twitter... What happens if you change the API details in XF settings? e.g. if you have to create a new Facebook app to handle the sign up and the previous one is deleted?

Will these users be able to sign up afterwards as if nothing happened?

At the least, they will have to go through accepting permissions again. However, it's very possible they they would need to "reassociate" with their existing user because (IIRC) FB now uses app-specific user IDs so changing the app will change the ID that'd we use to identify them.

Note that the reassociation process requires a password verification; a FB user doesn't have a password (stored in XF) by default. They would need to use the lost password process to generate one (they can ask to generate one via the account pages as well, but they'd have to be logged in for that).

At the least, they will have to go through accepting permissions again. However, it's very possible they they would need to "reassociate" with their existing user because (IIRC) FB now uses app-specific user IDs so changing the app will change the ID that'd we use to identify them.

Note that the reassociation process requires a password verification; a FB user doesn't have a password (stored in XF) by default. They would need to use the lost password process to generate one (they can ask to generate one via the account pages as well, but they'd have to be logged in for that).
Thanks Mike.

How about if the URL of the forum changes?

Do the existing Facebook associated accounts still work without hassle?

What happens (I guess this is needed if the url of the forum changes) if one changes the Site URL / App Domain in the Facebook App settings on Facebook.com?

I wonder how many changes to the app can be made; can its name be changed, can its logo be changed (on Facebook)... or may some of those changes cause forum users to have to re-associate their accounts...

I'm just wanting to pick your brain about this so as to hopefully being able to avoid a situation where members have to re-associate or, worse, use the forgotten password feature to request a new password. There's a domain change coming up in the near future.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Most of these would really be down to the FB app and what FB allows itself; if FB is happy for you to change the URL on your app and keep the associations, then you should be fine. I'm not aware of any restrictions that they have, so you may need to contact them. We only deal with your app ID and the user IDs that FB provides to us (which are said to be tied to the app/app ID).

Top Bottom