What CMS should I use?

=MGN=RedEagle

So there’s this new game I am playing and it’s a little bit like Minecraft. It’s brand-new, hugely popular and, like minecraft, has seeds and downloadable maps. What CMS would be the best for creating a website in which people could share seeds, downloadable maps or other interesting in game content?

I don’t want to make a discussion website as there is one of those already. I just want a place where people can share seeds (and pictures and videos of those seeds).

What CMS should I use?

I bet someone is an expert on this kinda stuff :D

Think of seeds like maps. Put a different seed code into your game and it will produce a different starting map. People want to start on great maps so they search up different seeds. People want to see videos and pictures of the seeds so they go to websites like the one I want to create to learn about each seed through images and videos.

Last edited:
There aren't many quality CMS that stand out from the pack for php. Drupal and Joomla seem to be the most popular and therefore I'd likely recommend them due to the amount of plugins you can likely find to help get the functionality you desire. I've never attempted to make a plugin for either and I hear it's not great quality code so if you're looking to make plugins you may have a hard time with readability and what not. If you're looking to just install stuff and get it running, I think you'd be fine with either.

If you want one seed per thread then the resource manager would do.

Alternatively you could also checkout showcase. Showcase lets you add all kinds of custom fields and is highly configurable. You could setup fields for seeds, maps, description, images, videos and whatever you want to have. Its not a full CMS but it's excellent for item management. There are all kinds of widgets for widget framework as well.

It depends.

If you want a 'newbie' feel, go for Wordpress or Joomla.

If you want to truely be able to customize your site and have amazingly detailed control over your entire site, go for Processwire.

If you go for Wordpress or Joomla, expect to have a hell of a time with it. Their absolutely dire, ancient codebases make it a nightmare to do anything site-specific.

I am not really a great coder or programmer. I need a lot of assistance from my CMS. If possible, I want to rename phrases in something created for another similar purpose.

Decided to go with Invision Power Board 4.0 with all its built in apps and customization. My reasoning here is all the functionality was so close to what I needed, it does not require 3rd party app and the company is trusted to bring out updates.

Decided to go with Invision Power Board 4.0 with all its built in apps and customization. My reasoning here is all the functionality was so close to what I needed, it does not require 3rd party app and the company is trusted to bring out updates.

Good luck.. hopefully they will get 4.0 up to par with the 3.x series before to long.
I'm starting a new project and for S&G I am debating between IPS or WBB (leaning more this way) for it. The main reason is it one of the only ones that I run that a blog could be useful for the users. But it will be a forum base to start with.

IPB 4 is quite slow sadly.
They would really rather you hosted it with them in their cloud. In fact, after reading some of the posts it looks like that's what they are pushing since apparently support for the script being ran on shared hosting/VPS/dedi gives them headaches with the load it causes.

I think the biggest complaint was the issue with the "cheap shared hosting". Apparently it is resource intensive enough that it causes the hosts to yell at the clients and then the clients go to IPS about why is it doing it. Easiest solution would be for IPS just to say something like "Most cheap shared hosting is not adequate to run this script. No support will be provided if you are being a tightwad on your hosting". :D

Thing is.. cheap shared hosting causes issues for most of the scripts once they get under load.

I find the community by IPB itself is slow (as in their admin community). I don't think it's the server, just IPB4 itself. That said, its very customizable. Could be a case of of a company trying to be something its not. I am sure they will speed it up over time.

If you are referring to posting activity.. then odds are it's because their client base is not as large as others.

Top Bottom