What CMS pairs best with xenForo?

I realize you don't have acess to the control panel for Ct, but it is very easy to rewrite all of the template html to make it look any way you wish. Its default look is a hell of a site better than WP's default look!
I think I disagree. If the front page at http://www.contentteller.com is the default look, then I don't think it looks better than a default WordPress. That logo and those graphics look like they are best viewed in Netscape Navigator 2.0 back in 1996.

That isn't the default! Those are content pages. The content module allows you to have a complete html website within the content module, but its still just static HTML with Ct side blocks, header and footer.
Here is a default view with no more than 45 minutes of work on the style and maybe another hour of configuration:
http://www.power-systems.org
It looks a heck of a site better than WP did with the DB plugin with the same exact content.

Okay, so it isn't the default...but it is how the company chose to represent their own product. Not a high selling point there, IMO. Not trying to burst anyone's bubble, but as a potential customer, unless they can "wow" me when I view their implementation of their own product, I'm not going to be very interested in it. The first time I saw XenForo I almost sh!t myself because it was so beautiful...Contentteller makes me yawn.

That isn't the default! Those are content pages. The content module allows you to have a complete html website within the content module, but its still just static HTML with Ct side blocks, header and footer.
Here is a default view with no more than 45 minutes of work on the style and maybe another hour of configuration:
It looks a heck of a site better than WP did with the DB plugin with the same exact content.
You got me at hello.
I'm sure it works for you and many people but you just help convince me that it's not for ME.

That blocky look reminds me of VBAdvanced, something I tried to get away from. Last I checked VBCMS looks pretty similar (lot of blocks on the side).

I realize my site needs something different and I don't intend to go to Ct path but thanks for letting me know about another CMS system out there.

My reaction was the opposite. Hell, I didn't care how the page looked, I read the list of modules and said, "Crap, I get all that? And the comment system can use the forums?"
When xF is gold, I (and others who have agreed to kick in) am going to pay to have a custom template/style for both xF and Ct. Ct will use the xF stylesheets and it will look and feel like one site.
I really don't care about looks at this point. Its all about functionality and integration. Looks can come later.

YThat blocky look reminds me of VBAdvanced, something I tried to get away from. Last I checked VBCMS looks pretty similar (lot of blocks on the side).
+1 agree.

Actually it really looks like vBportal.
The nicest part of power-systems.org is the xenforo forum. The rest looks old. I'm sure it could be improved with a better skin.

My reaction was the opposite. Hell, I didn't care how the page looked, I read the list of modules and said, "Crap, I get all that? And the comment system can use the forums?"
When xF is gold, I (and others who have agreed to kick in) am going to pay to have a custom template/style for both xF and Ct. Ct will use the xF stylesheets and it will look and feel like one site.
I really don't care about looks at this point. Its all about functionality and integration. Looks can come later.
I'm not saying that the functionality is not desirable. Here's what happened when I browsed to the site:

• Saw the logo and the rest of the graphics and said "eww".
  • Saw the URL structure and said "meh..."
  • Closed the browser tab
I didn't even consider looking at what it offered just based off of that first impression. So if it's to sell and compete with the likes of WordPress, they need to spice up the presentation. Regardless, I wish them the best. Variety in the market is always good.

+1 I think many people would be interested in this.

I would suggest Contentteller do this for free with the default xenforo, IMO.
It would be good exposure for Contentteller to not look so old when compared to the fresh look of xenforo.

Fred: If it's not obvious I would like to know if you do this .... I've made an Alert Addon suggestion just after reading your cool post !

You got me at hello.
I'm sure it works for you and many people but you just help convince me that it's not for ME.

That blocky look reminds me of VBAdvanced, something I tried to get away from. Last I checked VBCMS looks pretty similar (lot of blocks on the side).

I realize my site needs something different and I don't intend to go to Ct path but thanks for letting me know about another CMS system out there.
I'll make you a deal. When we start work on the unifying theme, help us review the work as it evolves and make suggestions to make it something you do like the looks of. Fair enough?

But have your tried Contentteller the same way? See how good/bad is its SEO?

No I haven't checked it out. I have no idea how good or bad it is in terms of SEO. Honestly speaking, there are too many compelling reasons for wp over anything else. Take plugins for instance, seo, and you can make it do absolutely anything you want, thousands of free and paid skins available and skin designers you can hire to make the cms look like xf.

+ 1 for the bolded bit.

I said on the other thread I would be happy to chip in on a combined theme between Ct/xF, personally I couldn't get the WP bridge to work, so I installed the free 30-day trial version of Ct to have a play and raised various [some dumb] questions in their forums and found the support to be excellent hence buying a licence.

For what I am planning in 2011 it's perfect, for what it offers including support I think it's good value for money - knowing little about the tech side of websites I can't afford to rely on free bridges, where support is likely to be limited and could dry up.

The fact that Ct uses xF on their own site would suggest any problems caused to Ct integration by upgrades of xF or vice versa will be resolved fairly quickly.

Of course it's not going to be the right thing for everyone, but if people are looking for a powerful CMS solution that integrates with xF I would recommend downloading their free trail version for a play - and no I haven't signed up to their affiliate programme, so there's no benefit in me recommending people take a proper look at it. :)

EDIT - there's a few screengrabs and other bits that may be of interest on this thread: Help to test my Contentteller CMS bridged xenForo install.

Of course it's not going to be the right thing for everyone, but if people are looking for a powerful CMS solution that integrates with xF I would recommend downloading their free trail version for a play - and no I haven't signed up to their affiliate programme, so there's no benefit in me recommending people take a proper look at it. :)
For the record, neither am I.
I had the same concerns others do about having the same look and feel throughout my site. That when away when I saw how the template system works and how easy it is to rewrite it. I don't have the talent to rewrite it myself, but I never let my own limitation stop me. There is always someone way smarter than I am that will be willing to do it if properly compensated for their talent.

This should give you an idea of how easy the template system is to work with. Like I said, I'm not the most talented HTML programmer, so forgive me if this change isn't a big change, although it does use most of the template management features.

I changed the side block to be collapsable, but I wanted it to be animated DHTML.

I have to add one new jquery script, then I had to modify the header template to include the new javascripts.

Then I modified the block template to include the animation controls and add a unique id to each DIV tag. I was originally going to use the block name, but that was a problem since it had spaces (ie "Users Online").

But that was easily solved. Each template has an HTML part and a PHP part, so I just added the follwing lines to the PHP part:

PHP:
$sPattern = '/\s*/m';
$sReplace = '';
$blockname = preg_replace( $sPattern, $sReplace, $insert['block_name'] );

That created a new variable that was the block name with the spaces stripped, which became the ID for the DIV tag.

I only changed two templates. Was was just to the HTML part, the other to both the HTML and the PHP parts. Its not a huge change, but it should give you an idea of how easy the template system is to work with and how you can add PHP snippets without modifying the code itself.

Well the CT website looks very childish and the default design reminds me of a CMS from 10 years ago... however, I don't see how xfrock's bridge can compete with CT's article comment function. As I understand it with WP, a user can login and comment within WP on an article, in CT an article creates a thread on the forum and when people comment on the article in the CMS, they are actually posting replies to the thread on the forum. I can't pass that up no matter how ugly it is.

Not just articles either. News as well. The comments work both ways. Commented entered in Ct appear in the forum thread. Posts in the thread appear as comments in Ct.

Rss feeds become news stories become forum threads. Comments = posts = comments

I would like to see someone do a feature list of all the possible front pages for XenForo.... I know, that is not fair to ask anyone to do it.

There are quite a few things that do far far more than what I want but that's ok. It seems that everything out there almost does what I want. If I could grab something from three places I think I would have it.

My ideal feature list if very short but very specific.

I would like to see someone do a feature list of all the possible front pages for XenForo.... I know, that is not fair to ask anyone to do it.

I would help with that, but only if listed here @xenforo.com
Xenforo needs a wiki. STAT !

A more organized Addons listing would be even more helpful.

A bespoke add-on system is planned.
That won't be in place until after the stable release though.
I am aware of future plans.
I am talking about a practical fix for now.
I suggested a "Pages" listing, but that exposed the practical problem - you can't edit pages except from the adminCP. Obviously community participation wasn't a focus of Pages.:rolleyes:

I am only talking about improving xenforo customer knowledge and making it easy for others. I don't need an addons listing nor do I need a what CMS pairs with xenforo.

Top Bottom