What caching configurations do you all use?

We're currently exploring how we can leverage caching to improve performance on our forum, and reduce server load. That said, I have limited experience with caching and no experience configuring the same for XenForo.

Given that, I was curious if some folks would share their thoughts on what collection of caches/providers they've gone with, and why. Hopefully this can be helpful to us and others as we try to figure out what implementation might suit our forum best. )At the moment we are considering APC + memcached.)

Thanks!
I'm curious if your question has been answered. I guess in summary, "It depends".

When you say APC do you mean opcache? PHP 7 should have built in opcache via php-opcache module. Memcache also a great idea. We swapped between redis/memcache, they both did help with performance.

uAPC is a very bad choice for even vaguely active forums. It is a known flaw where it can just outright deadlock php-fpm processes for not good reason, and simply doesn't scale well above a few thousand keys

I'm curious if your question has been answered. I guess in summary, "It depends".
Indeed - if anything I'm a bit more lost given the relative complexity of some of these answers haha

Perhaps folks can share some recommendations. The forum I'm looking to implement caching for has roughly 250k posts and serves ~1M pages each month (to me that's not very much content but a medium level of traffic). We're looking at caching primarily to alleviate some database load where possible, as well as to insulate our site from performance impacts when we have spikes in traffic (which is not too uncommon for us as we are often linked to by other sites, Youtubers, etc.)

From what I can tell, installing memcached or Redis and then configuring contexts with XF to use each is straightforward enough, once I am accustomed to the syntax XF lays out. But I'm getting the impression that there's more to do for more 'optimal' implementations. At the same time, I think something like what @eva2000 listed out earlier is just overkill, and I'm reluctant to introduce a lot of complexity just to eke out marginal performance gain that will not really be appreciated given our size. Finally, I see some difference of opinion on memcached vs Redis but don't know enough about either to have an opinion of my own yet.

Install redis cache*, my redis views & flood checker add-ons is probably an easy & straight forward win. Otherwise additional caching becomes quite complex and more customized.

*A lot of add-ons will start dynamically caching if you have a caching back-end setup.

I prefer redis as it allows me to build more complex solutions, that memcache can't easily address

Install redis cache*, my redis views & flood checker add-ons is probably an easy & straight forward win. Otherwise additional caching becomes quite complex and more customized.
If you don't mind humoring my ignorance - what is the benefit of using these add-ons with Redis versus XF's stock connector?

My redis connector works with the php extension and without, while allowing add-ons to get the underlying connector to directly talk to redis by-passing the caching layer. This allows additional complex operations that redis supports but the caching interface does not

Top Bottom