1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What attracts spam bots?

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by overifist, Dec 3, 2015.

1. overifist

overifist Member

My site has been flooded before by bots to the point where it's inaccessible by anyone.

What attracts these bots?

2. AndyB

AndyB Well-Known Member

The easiest way to stop spammers is to have a good Question & Answer in the registration. However not all forums are suitable for this, you have to have a forum with a topic that is not too broad. What is your forum about?

3. overifist

overifist Member

We're a gaming community.
    http://thesgn.com/board

4. W1zzard

W1zzard Well-Known Member

5. overifist

overifist Member

6. whynot

whynot Well-Known Member

Their IP let you know.

7. W1zzard

W1zzard Well-Known Member

The addon adds log output to the spam trigger logs

overifist likes this.
  8. Alfa1

Alfa1 Well-Known Member

Spammer scripts have search capability to locate websites using software the spam script supports. I found that spam bots landed at my sites by searching google for terms that every xenforo board has in the html source.

9. AndyB

AndyB Well-Known Member

Unfortunately it appears to be too general of a forum to have Q&A work effectively.

10. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

Depends on the gaming forum. Mine is one of these and Q&A works very well on mine.

11. SEOmers

SEOmers Active Member

Tools like scrapebox or senuke will track down forum footprints, lets face it. we're easy targets but there are loads of ways of dealing with it

Things they look for are

"Powered by (forum software) then a keyword relevant to their market etc. They go by scale and if you have half decent stats like domain authority, a few members etc then they'll come and try to get backlinks etc

12. dvsDave

dvsDave Well-Known Member

Unpatched forums give off a sort of sickly smell, that spambots are attracted too. Applying patches usually makes the smell go away.

13. Anthony Parsons

Anthony Parsons Well-Known Member

Being online! Being unsecured, online.