What are major features needed in 3.0?

NealC

Loving XF 2.2 but curious what the community thinks is needed as major features in 3.0 to continue the path to awesomeness? Anything missing that is available in other products that XF 3 should implement? Any great ideas for XF 3 that should be top priority?

One item I'd like to see are forum level email digests. My community members are typically interested in one brand where my RV community offers many brands. They'll want to stay in the know on their favorite brand.

I presume you mean 2.3 - new features are typically introduced in second point releases.

One item I'd like to see are forum level email digests. My community members are typically interested in one brand where my RV community offers many brands. They'll want to stay in the know on their favorite brand.
Post this in Suggestions (if it is not already there) and I imagine you will get some votes. And I don't think you would have to wait for 3.0 for something like this if XF goes for it. Definitely 2.x material.

Something like that would tie nicely into social groups.

I would say there are other features to take in consideration, like badges, and others to motivate members to be active.
While that may or may not be true that has nothing to do with emails that target opted-in niche specific users.

This thread is kind of pointless since new features are welcome in the next major version which is not 3.0.

I would really like a lighter skin in terms of html markup.

• too much nesting/depth.
  • too much JS
-- jquery needs to go (stop supporting browsers from 20 years ago. If sites want to, they can continue to run 2.x).
- too much css that isn't used on every page
-- some sort of export as a file to the cdn (flysystem) would be awesome.
  • lighten up the classnames (can probably reduce 20% in file size simply by using less verbose classing)
  • better image capabilities with multiple filesizes for different devices and leverage the srcset and picture tags as appropriate.

I’m hesitant to close this but I will at least say this:

If you want to discuss new features - and believe me you guys don’t need to worry about whether it would be a 2.x level feature or 3.x level feature - the most productive place to do so would be in specific suggestions in the Suggestions forum.

When we’re considering new features for inclusion in XF 2.x or 3.x that’s where we’ll be looking, not here.

So while I won’t close this, please direct your good ideas and constructive discussion over there so we can actually find it in the future 🙂

This is a higher level philosophical idea discussion. Not specifics to be added to the Suggestions forum which is why I created it here. Some people may have ideas that come to mind now that may not come to mind when you call for them. I'm not asking this as a XF developer which I'm not, I'm asking more to see what the community feels is lacking or needs change for a future major release that would take XF to the next level in community'ware.

Personal blogs come to mind with the ability to give them a host header or suffix such as domain/blogs/user. I bought this feature in vB years ago and never used it, not sure if I would or not but now that I run a RV community it may be more fitting than the other communities I had.

Contribute where you see fit. I'm just trying to have a discussion and not post formal suggestions that add noise that need to be sorted through. High level discussion of what we, as users, want to see in a major version in the future. Not a point release.

I'd prefer leave it as I'd like to see what's priority to the community for the "next" major release. Again, just high level chit chat among users on what the next level of XF should add.

Top Bottom