wetalknation.net ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dutchbb

I saw that it's closed and I've read the reasons for it on Floris' blog. I'm sure he has thought long about it and I can even understand the reasons.

But why not sell it or just assign a new administrator if money is of no interest? It seemed to me it was a pretty active community and had potential for moneytizing if needed.

It seems just like a waste to me to not do something with it. And this is no critique or anything, just an opinion.

I could not find a thread about this, and if this thread is unwanted then please let me know. And BTW Floris if you read this; thanks for all the time and effort you have put in the forum communities, maybe people haven't expressed that enough...

Yep, it is sad to see them just go away after so much work and so many years. Perhaps you should address Floris with your concerns.

Hmmm ... to me that reads like someone who's quite simply come to the decision that enough is enough. A hard one by the looks of things.

Floris - are you stepping out of the 'scene' completely, or just taking it easy for a while and playing around the edges instead - with the added bonus of the pressue now being off you of course?

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Mah who cares. I've spend ten years on it and it feels like it only is at 25% of what I want it to be. It was discussed the summer to close it or not. But who cares .. it's just a web site.

I don't want to sell it, I turned down the offers I received this year.
And I don't think I will be happy when I see other admins run it, and not do it the way how I want to do it.

Thanks for the feedback dutchbb.

Hmmm ... to me that reads like someone who's quite simply come to the decision that enough is enough. A hard one by the looks of things.

Floris - are you stepping out of the 'scene' completely, or just taking it easy for a while and playing around the edges instead - with the added bonus of the pressue now being off you of course?

Cheers,

XenFans will continue, nothing changes there. And I will keep my blog.

I just don't give a **** right about now. I tried taking a step back but that doesn't stop the trolls, the spammers or the abusive people. But it does stop the posts made by real people. So I am just out.

I made a site because I want to run a site. Not to monetize it, etc. I am in it for the community and I didn't feel it was what I wanted anymore. It's all changed too much, or I have changed.

Time to move on, I've also quite my position on the site where I have the 45k posts, and waiting for the admins to come online for the sites I admin for them - so I can let them know they have to find someone else.

I hate to say never again, but only time will tell. And the moment I don't feel like wasting my time. But I feel really bad for those who were invested in the community. It was a hard decision, as easy as it was to change it to die(closed.html).

Sorry to hear that Floris.
Everything you decide, it should be about your personal life, health, choice, hobby, family first and foremost.

If the passion is no longer there, and it's no longer making sense financially, it's wise decision.

I don't know much about wetalknation but I do remember using your IRC channel back in the days ;)

You had a good run.

The vbirc.com network and stuff is still there. Just closed the other 25 web sites.

Running one website is a great undertaking. Running 25+ sites will no doubt affect your life, your health, your finance.

Best of luck to you, Floris.

25+ forums is something simply impossible to manage without affecting your life... merging all of them in an unique forum (wetalknation.net) was a smart decision. But if you want to close it then it's OK (sorry to hear about that). It appears that it was an active community a few years ago but ultimately it was dead.

Good luck! It looks like you're a good man :)

Btw I think that this thread has nothing to do here due to the fact that comments can be posted on his blog.

Mah who cares. I've spend ten years on it and it feels like it only is at 25% of what I want it to be. It was discussed the summer to close it or not. But who cares .. it's just a web site.

I don't want to sell it, I turned down the offers I received this year.
And I don't think I will be happy when I see other admins run it, and not do it the way how I want to do it.

Thanks for the feedback dutchbb.
Sorry bud... but why close it at all? Was there that much work that running it was just not a possibility? Additional costs? Sorry to hear about this and, as a fellow admin running a site for almost a decade, glad to help if I can.

I just don't give a **** right about now. I tried taking a step back but that doesn't stop the trolls, the spammers or the abusive people. But it does stop the posts made by real people. So I am just out.

I feel you right there, trust me.

Good luck Floris. You might find after some time away you'll get your mojo back. You may even have some new ideas when you've taken a step back.

Sorry bud... but why close it at all? Was there that much work that running it was just not a possibility? Additional costs? Sorry to hear about this and, as a fellow admin running a site for almost a decade, glad to help if I can.
Thank you.

Thank you.

It's always sad to see a 10 year old site go away like that ...
Floris I can help ... I have fresh ideas I was working on, I'll be happy to pass them along to you .. just show a little interest :) PC me please

I understand that. Once you've burned out on something, there's no point in going through the motions just because you're sad to see it end.

Floris - and this is just a suggestion, please don't shoot me if you hate the idea - but would it be worth leaving some links to alternative sites your old members could visit instead of just the site closed notice.

I understand you might not want to give away the traffic you worked hard to build, but perhaps you've made friends with other admins and you'd like to offer their sites as an alternative place for your members to chat.

Just a thought ...

Oh, and whilst I don't know you personally - if you're feeling depressed ... I mean, really down ... don't wait around too long to get some help. Believe me, it's not a nice place down there - I've been there, and I'm NOT going back!!!

Hopefully that's not the case and you'll de-stress now you don't have all the constraints of running so many sites. How the hell did you manage?

Cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom