Website design critique please.

Slavik

XenForo moderator
Staff member
For a magento store.

All comments welcomed good or bad.

(please note the logo is still to be decided).

index-1.webp

Very nice :-)

Only minor comment is that the logo seems slightly detached from the rest of the header (too much whitespace to right)

I wouldn't say there's too much whitespace to the right, so much as not enough on the left. Besides that, I don't think the background should lose that much saturation; I think it should retain some green. The "Welcome to our reptile.com" at the top looks out of place. Also, I'm not sure which font you're using for the sidebar entries, but I'd consider a different one or maybe increasing the size. It just looks bad to me, though that may be because of the reduced size of the screenshot. I'd stick with sans-serif, though. Also, the copyright text looks a bit plain, but that might just be my taste.

That's the best I can offer. I think it's pretty good design, otherwise; I'm impressed. =]

I like how everything looks in the content part. Except for small personal websites I'm not a fan of decreasing the content space so you can show a background image.

I agree with you in principle, but, a lot of the time, it's a decision to stick with fixed width so you can guarantee a certain type of presentation.

Really like it. Nothing to comment on it other than that it's a good design. Love the colours, logo, everything

Looks great !

Nitpicking ....
The logo obviously has to go (as you said).
The frog cartoon looks like it should for selling Children's books not live iguanas. :) The logo shouldn't be a cutesy cartoon of a reptile.

I like the clear bolded font in the word Category and Newsletter. I don't like the "harder to read" fonts used in the Tabs (Home, About us, ...). This might not be as noticeable on the live site vs. screenshot.

A Magento - Xenforo bridge would be nice. :)

I think the footer would look better being dark dark grey, blackish #262626 rather than green though a very theme. Not many people design in green since it's a difficult colour to work with but you've done a nice job with it.

Also, before i forget the navigation links, I think rather than being green go with something like #262626 and for the logo a nice bold font with a image of a t-Rex (joke) reptile shooting out the top of the white header area (if i explained that right) or a chameleon something colourful that'll break out the green.

Edit: I'd also re-colour the rating icons stars other than green again to break out the green so it's distinguishable

It looks superb.

To my eyes though, it's a bit too green. Maybe some of the sub headings and links could be a different and contrasting colour to green? However that's nit-picking, well done on a very professional and slick design.

Are you really selling lizards?

Uh suggestion, hmm you have a lot of green on there but remember that not all reptiles are green. if you could mix some brown and blue in there somewhere, maybe as the text, and the stars, that would be better.

Are you really selling lizards?

Uh suggestion, hmm you have a lot of green on there but remember that not all reptiles are green. if you could mix some brown and blue in there somewhere, maybe as the text, and the stars, that would be better.

Yes, why :p

Just curious. Didn't know you could mail animals to people. I wonder how that works.

Oh, only invetibrates can be mailed unless you use specilist (very expensive) couriers.

The website will mainly sell consumables (such as lizard food :)) However people like to know what the price is buying a lizard is incase they want to pop into the store.

Oh, only invetibrates can be mailed unless you use specilist (very expensive) couriers.

The website will mainly sell consumables (such as lizard food :)) However people like to know what the price is buying a lizard is incase they want to pop into the store.
Oh okay makes sense. I was thinking about how badly mail is delivered sometimes. When I was in the military my mom sent me a small box of a bible, thesaurus and some christian magazines or pamphlets and someone at the post office opened it up and replaced all the contents with lesbian magazines. smh lol.

Okay back on topic, your site looks very professional, I wouldn't touch it, other than adding a darker color somewhere that's not green.

When I was in the military my mom sent me a small box of a bible, thesaurus and some christian magazines or pamphlets and someone at the post office opened it up and replaced all the contents with lesbian magazines. smh lol.
God works in mysterious ways.
He must have felt you needed the mags more than the thesaurus.
Who am I to question his ways ?
;)

Top Bottom