We are looking at migrating a small car club from vb4 to xf2 how do we handle our trip register?

rc211e

For insurance purposes we need a record of proposed trips. Our vb4 workflow is cumbersome but it works.
  • We have same named threads in two sub forums ie "Trip to Zoo on Friday"
  • One thread is for Discussion and one for Booking in (each trip has a template which is replicated in each members booking)
  • The 2 threads are tied together in a calendar entry which contains a link to each thus tying event together
  • A 3rd thread with same name in sub forum contains media rich reports from members relating to trip.
Any ideas on features we should be investigating to implement this kind of workflow better?

The VB calendar has limit function but is robust supports repeating events and is key to our current workflow
How have VB4 to Xf2 migrators coped with lack of an inbuilt calendar?

We love the media handling and general feel of xf2 and the fact that is maintained and are heartened by the number vb4 sites that have come over but are surprised by lack of an inbuilt calendar/event feature. Is there any plan to add a event/calendar to official xf2?

VB4 has been good to us but its old and unsupported. The key things driving our migration are improved video and image handling and supported evolving software.

iPhones are dominant in our area and increasingly members are asking to load heic images do you anticipate supporting heic as uploads like FB does?

Finally we like the idea of a paid install. Have you installed on any Australian hosting providers?

xf2 looks to have great potential for us. Looking forward to getting this done, cheers

Any ideas on features we should be investigating to implement this kind of workflow better?
If you utilise https://xenforo.com/community/resources/calendar.7524/ then admin/members can create events, and members can RSVP their attendance. It can also automatically create a discussion thread in a forum, for discussion and posts both prior and after the event.

Have you installed on any Australian hosting providers?
I'm very happy with Linode, using their Sydney data centre. https://www.linode.com/?r=ab5714c61562563deab255ea6948b79922978e89 is my referral link that gives you $100 credit to play with it, and gives me $25 credit if you remain a customer beyond your $100 credit.

If you utilise https://xenforo.com/community/resources/calendar.7524/ then admin/members can create events, and members can RSVP their attendance. It can also automatically create a discussion thread in a forum, for discussion and posts both prior and after the event.

I'm very happy with Linode, using their Sydney data centre. https://www.linode.com/?r=ab5714c61562563deab255ea6948b79922978e89 is my referral link that gives you $100 credit to play with it, and gives me $25 credit if you remain a customer beyond your $100 credit.

Thanks I've been playing with calendar demo it comes close. RSVP does strange things when you look after the scheduled date. Text box in RSVP would also simplify our workflow. I'm having trouble with getting repeating events to work correctly. For example I can get something to repeat every 7 days correctly but not weekly (its a couple of days out) WIP.

Thanks for the info on hosting. We already have an Oz host. I was more interested in whether we could have a paid install by XF on our Oz hosting.

xenForo offers a paid installation service for $50 but it does not include addon installation or vB4 -> xF migration.
Thanks appreciate that, I think that's what we need. We are short on time. We are adapting our VB4 to migrate more easily, have migrated to VB4 from other products so we have an idea of what's involved.

Thanks appreciate that, I think that's what we need. We are short on time. We are adapting our VB4 to migrate more easily, have migrated to VB4 from other products so we have an idea of what's involved.

For what it's worth, the way events are coded for vB's calendar is not straightforward and requires a bit of reverse engineering to parse out bit level encoding. So plan for that if you're going to attempt it yourself. I have an importer for this I've done for different Calendar addon, but it could be adapted. If you're interested, let me know and I'll send a conversion message.

Top Bottom