Was building your Facebook fan page for years to get traffic to your forum?

Moshe1010

Think again:
http://time.com/34025/the-free-marketing-gravy-train-is-over-on-facebook/

I've just noticed today that my facebook page barely reaches to 3-4% of the total likes I have on my page (vs. 20-30% few weeks back).
That sucks because we wasted some money to bring people to "like" our page, and now facebook wants us to pay to show our content to these "likes". But yeah, they are a business as well, and eventually can do whatever they want. I don't really think this move would bring people to waste tons of money on ads, but we will see. I'm done basically investing in Facebook after this move - it makes no sense anymore unless you have a variety of products, and you can get your investment back very shortly after (which I probably can, but I can do it without facebook as well).

All in all, facebook is still the "cheapest" platform to advertise your website/products/services compared to Google AdWords/Magazine/Newspaper/Banners on different websites.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
This actually pleases me.. Sick and tired of cheap free facebook pages trumping the real deal forums.. Seems everyone with a thumb now has a web page with very little accountability, weather its made solely to bash and or troll or a legitimate fun page but either way i for one was tired of having the expense of a dedicated server and still competing with people with zero webmaster experience and no money.. I hate facebook..

This actually pleases me.. Sick and tired of cheap free facebook pages trumping the real deal forums.. Seems everyone with a thumb now has a web page with very little accountability, weather its made solely to bash and or troll or a legitimate fun page but either way i for one was tired of having the expense of a dedicated server and still competing with people with zero webmaster experience and no money.. I hate facebook..
Yeah, this will definitely generate interest in bulletin boards / internet forums. Facebook is for mainstream people who can't discuss anyway. So it's definitely good news! Facebook is stealing activity from us legitimate forum owners.

Yeah, this will definitely generate interest in bulletin boards / internet forums. Facebook is for mainstream people who can't discuss anyway. So it's definitely good news! Facebook is stealing activity from us legitimate forum owners.
I've never thought of it like that but I like the optimistic view point - makes sense to me!

My fb likes on my blog have no correlation to my traffic and lately I've noticed more pressure from fb to pay for views (boost post) which I won't do.

I'm finding Fb is only good if people return organically and then share but relying on previous likes to notify your fan base is a furphy.

My relatively new forum sends me more traffic then my seasoned fb page does these days.

At the end of the day, the world will need to damn near destroy itself before it becomes obvious what is of importance, and what is not of importance. Consider statistics of the World at present (that being spending, traffic, entertainment, business development, etc) now consider what would happen, how these things would differ if suddenly (after a decade of existence) FB crashed for a month. How drastic do you think those stats would differ. Facebook has allowed the masses to become primarily SELF focused. Everything the end user does on fb is about the end user. It's not about agenda, community organizations, planned changes or working towards anything. It's all just a bunch of people that **** out their opinions and never really have any indepth intellectual outcome. So outside of selling your personal activity algo's there is no real point to the domain. Welcome baaaaaahhhhck sheep!

Even more so, consider how unlikely it is that anyone would find your website (if Fb crashed) if they did not have the option of going from their fb profile, to their app/pages/groups tab in order to find your page... outside of your mass emailing your members list to let them know how to find your site... they likely don't remember the name. That's why "Catchmeonline" Is a pimp domain name. Biotchez!! lol

Although my main site has 10.000 fans there, I get less than 1% of my traffic through Facebook - therefore I don't care much what happens to it. And I will definitely not spend extra money for Facebook promotions.

I think you will find that Facebook users and forum active forum users are like oil and water. Also facebook users will always go back to facebook.

I think you will find that Facebook users and forum active forum users are like oil and water. Also facebook users will always go back to facebook.
It depends on your forum's niche. 50% of my clients came from Facebook. In addition, I've gained about 500-700 users/month (registration) just from facebook, which 25% of them stayed active.

It depends on your forum's niche. 50% of my clients came from Facebook. In addition, I've gained about 500-700 users/month (registration) just from facebook, which 25% of them stayed active.
What's your niche?

Also, I know a few people driving 100k visits from a million fan page. So it's not like the articles suggest. Facebook has never seemed to me like a big fraud but a difficult game which is hard to master. Especially with all the changes.

Is it very specific, like location related or broad based?
Broad based. We do have a location for personal trainings, but we just launched it lately. People come to ask questions about nutrition/training and we share research abstracts/papers + we have a big article base.

I built a facebook page a couple years ago. But it didn't help. I added my friends and family to it. And then i had no idea how to get more people to like the page. So it always stayed around the same number of fans. I ended up deleting it. So it didn't help. But that was years ago. I was thinking of restarting it.

even if you build up a healthy audience then Facebook is limiting the reach you have in order to get more advertising from you.

I deleted all my Fakebook-Pages.

After all, why do you want to send your "content" to an NSA-operation ?
And on top of it, sending them $$$ money as well for some fake "Likes" ? :ROFLMAO:

No thanks.

:coffee:

Top Bottom