Warning folks,serious new flaw found in Windows

Thanks for the info. I know a lot of people have to use IE at work - I do for some things - but most of us are safe thanks to Firefox, Chrome, etc.

I have nothing against IE so I'm not going to start "TEH BROWSER WARZZ!" but I just don't know many people who choose to use it any more.

Thanks for the info. I know a lot of people have to use IE at work - I do for some things - but most of us are safe thanks to Firefox, Chrome, etc.

I have nothing against IE so I'm not going to start "TEH BROWSER WARZZ!" but I just don't know many people who choose to use it any more.

Its not just the IE Browser tho. It also effects Outlook and Outlook Express.

What's wrong with IE then?

On a more serious note don't ya just hate it when you try to explain to a non-tech manager that yes it works in IE however 35%, figure pulled out of my bum, of people use alternative browsers and it isn't working in those ones.

Its not just the IE Browser tho. It also effects Outlook and Outlook Express.

I didn't catch that one, but my statements are essentially the same. How many people do you know that use Outlook/Exchange at home? Everyone I know uses Outlook at work and Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail, etc for their personal use.

It's not just about what people prefer to use but more that they may have to use IE for development purposes. In my case, I have to make sure there are no breakages in my styles through IE.

Point being, people have to use it for development purposes.

warned of a loophole that could be used by malicious hackers to steal private information or hijack computers.

LOL, when has this not been the case with M$ OS ??

If Bill Gates were held responsible for data theft and bank fraud caused by Windows over the years he would be bankrupt, thank God for EULA's in his case especially.

One way to get a work around for M$ users is to run the best security in the world, www.nod32.com full suite.

LOL, when has this not been the case with M$ OS ??

If Bill Gates were held responsible for data theft and bank fraud caused by Windows over the years he would be bankrupt, thank God for EULA's in his case especially.

One way to get a work around for M$ users is to run the best security in the world, www.nod32.com full suite.

Interesting. I'm going to have to look at them when I have money. I did some checking after your post and Nod seems to be pretty awesome.

All Windows users - particularly those who use Internet Explorer - are being urged to download the fix while the company's security team develop a way to plug the hole permanently.

Shouldn't the hole be plugged permanently since it mostly has to do with the OS rather than the browser....

Oh and just because you don't use IE, doesn't mean it won't affect you either. There was malicious software that actually activated IE through all browsers. Mainly because IE is part of the Core of Windows (literally and sadly), so there will always be a way for them to access it via malicious methods. I hardly ever use IE but I keep the browser up-to-date as a "just in case" logic of thinking.

Micro$oft will conduct automatic updates on all the boxes that accept them, all the rest of the folks will have vulnerable machines and that is what the hackers depend on.

IE, Outlook, and Outlook Express?

How is this serious when they've always been troublesome?

Many companies still use them as a "Standard" system in their computers. I worked for a security company that only knows of IE and Outlook as the only two "good" browsers and email clients....
Sad part is, just because it's more convenient for the IT techs in many companies (and for the people paying them, it's cost "efficient"...until they need to fix problems like this), they just use what came out of the box on the machines.

Problem with all the Alternative browsers are is that they have limited to know Centralized management or Group Policy integration options. Firefox is a nightmare to manage.

Top Bottom