VPS with good support, modest price

stevenavery

I bought my license today, leaving vBulletin 4.2.5, on another thread we discuss install possibilities.
www.purebibleforum.com - used more as a personal research center and blog.

Apparently, a VPS is a good idea if you are going to be robust in certain types of add-ons and tweaks.
As well as having its normal advantages over shared servers.
(Also a $35/month compared to $15 is modest, you might save by having a Linux firewall too?)

Maybe later I will look at unmanaged servers, but not at the same time as a migration.

================

So I am comparing some of the major players..
Some of these might jack up their prices - e.g. after one year.

.............................. Core-GB-StorageBandwidth

Knownhost 2-2-50-2 $28
Very strong with customers here:
Uses Xenforo forum for customers.

A2Hosting 4-4-75-2 - $25 (does it jump up?) 888-546-8946 - long phone wait for sale! 2 15 minute waits both failed

ThemeHouse

RoseHosting 1-1-30-2 $25 646 519-7201

HostPapa

InMotion x-4-75-4 $29-24 mo 888-321-4678 - 90 day - $50 if one mo

================

Linode and Digital Ocean seem to be unmanaged. Maybe Interserver.net.

SiteGround and Liquid Web are higher price, unless you buy 2 years ahead on LW

===================

I will likely call at least the ones in bold, but any extra **** or alarms you can share, much appreciated.

Steven

Last edited:
Vultr and a $5/mo instance to a small forum, $20 for larger (100 guests/users concurrently using), and sky is the limit for larger.

NJ nodes if you want expandable 10TB block storage.

I believe they have a $100 matching prepaid deposit too.

Run Centmin and CentminMod.

Thanks. I meant to add Vultr to my list. Not sure what is comparable to VPS.
Sometimes it is hard to compare apples with apples.

Linode and Vultr added above.

Knownhost is looking good, I was actually with them in 2013, they dropped the shared server, and I switched to MDDHosting. They do have a nice forum that looks like Xenforo.

Last edited:
I just wanted to check some that offer more hard stuff for my 30/month. A2Motion not really answering their phone. Knownhost lacks phone tech support, I know it matters little, however I enjoy a little chat, like with the Siteground Bulgarians.

Number of domains should be checked, InMotion says 3 IP, addies.

Last edited:
I just wanted to check some that offer more hard stuff for my 30/month. A2Motion not really answering their phone. Knownhost lacks phone tech support, I know it matters little, however I enjoy a little chat, like with the Siteground Bulgarians.

Our support tickets are basically live chat. Left hand side always has the average response time over the past 2 hours: https://support.knownhost.com/

“Left hand side”?

So far, KH seems the best, I am not a fan of buying a year or two ahead to get a good price - even if you get a heftier system.

Thanks for all the support and communication.

For now, I have received excellent help from one of our forum members (thanks!) on bringing it over to an unmanaged small VPS Linode. Other projects planned in the future,

AndI will report back when the forum is imported, and up and running.

Forum is imported. Just plan to check out the temporary DNS, then make the full switch. Probably a day or two more of poking around. Wonderful experience. Will report back when it is public up and running.

I've had a VPS for my forum with Knownhost since August 2012 and never had an issue with them. On the odd time I have needed some help they have been more than helpful.

Price has stung a bit since the USD to AUD exchange has dropped a bit in this time, but the quality of the service and uptime has been excellent. Knownhost have also been good in providing upgraded specs to the VPS over the years, so they do look after existing customers in that sense which not all companies would do.

Top Bottom