VPS Suggestions?

Glockie

Hi all,
After doing some work myself on my site and with @Russ we both kind of came to the conclusion that my hosting is under par.
It's taken somewhat for me at times, 5 minutes plus just to import theme XML sheets.
I'm using 1&1 (I know) but it's shared hosting.. The reason I am using them is I have multiple accounts and it just seemed to be a natural step to do this - there..

Now I have a high end server at home and I am tempted, but I don't know if I want to go through the hassle of doing it at home again.

Can anyone recommend a decent VPS host but I am also on a budget - for now at least -
We are only starting up on another project I have, but I know it *could* lead to very high traffic..

I would be most grateful for suggestions, I'm looking at Europe as I am in Wales and the site will be mostly UK aimed initially..

I already had an SQL drop yesterday that lasted for about 15 minutes...
Upon a search I found it's common in shared hosting...

So if you have any suggestions or good ideas - please fire away.
Also, is 1&1 VPS any good?

Many thanks in advance.

Okay thanks will look now.
What specs does XF need or is best suited with, anyone know?
Obviously it also depends on traffic, but as far as hw is concerned too..
ie, dual core, 2GB ram and so on?

Part of me is tempted to do it at home again, but I don't know... So much hassle involved.

Okay thanks will look now.
What specs does XF need or is best suited with, anyone know?
Obviously it also depends on traffic, but as far as hw is concerned too..
ie, dual core, 2GB ram and so on?

Part of me is tempted to do it at home again, but I don't know... So much hassle involved.
I've been with DigitalOcean and Linode and the $20 dollar VPS is perfect for my small forum of 800.000 monthly pageviews.

Hi Julian, Okay thanks mate..
I'm swaying between DigitalOcean and Vultr at the moment, they seem to have very good deals.
More than enough for XF yes?

Cent OS 6, dual core, 2GB RAM, 40GB HDD 300GB transfer ONLY 15USD = £9.16 pcm.. very good I think.
Sufficient specs do you both think?

Glockie...which did you decide to go with? I'm looking at the same choices and would love to draft on your information.
Thanks

The advantage of VPS servers is that if you need more power you can usually upgrade your server with minimum effort. So, it's safe to go with the minimum specs you think you're going to need and if you decide your site feels slow or is underperforming, a couple of clicks should double your memory and cpu.

Personally I am with WSWD.net who lurks around here somewhere @WSWD and I have been impressed with the uptime. My VPS has been running 141 days straight so who knows how long the host machine has stayed up!

Heard linode both ways but I wouldn't hesitate to try them. Nfoservers.com is another company I do business with. They are a game server company but run some of the most reliable VPSs I've had before I started with WSWD. NFO dealing in game servers though the data center tends to get attacked a lot.

Last edited:
Glockie...which did you decide to go with? I'm looking at the same choices and would love to draft on your information.
Thanks

I went with DigitalOcean
A dual core, 2GB RAM 40GB SSD 3TB Transfer for 20 USD which is £12 GBP.
Bargain!

However, obviously, it's all command line so lots of fiddling to be done. And I've personally not worked with Linux for about a year plus.

But it's rates that I simply found to be the best after looking around.
Hope that helps.

Oh and their reviews are way up there, which also sold me.
(y)

However, obviously, it's all command line so lots of fiddling to be done. And I've personally not worked with Linux for about a year plus.

Yeah the only other real option would be to get a managed VPS which can be big money. I played with webmin/virtualmin which isn't terrible to help manage a few things but overall there is a reason its free...

Honestly the only thing I ever worry about setting up a server is security. Its a full time job and inexperience... sucks.

Honestly the only thing I ever worry about setting up a server is security. Its a full time job and inexperience... sucks.

I totally concur, in my experience from using servers, and running servers from home - it's a damn minefield.
Patches, exploits, firewalls, DOS attacks SQL exploits - the stuff that makes nightmares for us admins, is a VERY real and persistent threat.. Minefield.

@rainmotorsports Thanks for the recommendation! Here's the uptime for your node: 02:27:31 up 226 days, 21:34, 1 user, load average: 1.24, 1.60, 1.46 Something we take very seriously! :D

@Glockie Though you're potentially going to take some heat from the purists here, don't be afraid to put cPanel or another control panel or such on the VPS, if you aren't comfortable with doing everything from the command line. It's $15 well spent. DirectAdmin is cheaper than that (generally $5/mo. if you get it through your provider), and there are plenty of other cheap/free alternatives available.

I'm with DigitalOcean too. :)

ps: I use their DNS Control Panel to make a vanity nameserver. Once upon a time, my user and I can't access my site. After opening a support ticket, it seems they changing their NS IP. They do apologize and give me free $10 credit. :D

Why has nobody recommended Nimbus in here :eek:

But yes, if you want a solid provider, they get my vote hands down.

@rainmotorsports Thanks for the recommendation! Here's the uptime for your node: 02:27:31 up 226 days, 21:34, 1 user, load average: 1.24, 1.60, 1.46 Something we take very seriously! :D

@Glockie Though you're potentially going to take some heat from the purists here, don't be afraid to put cPanel or another control panel or such on the VPS, if you aren't comfortable with doing everything from the command line. It's $15 well spent. DirectAdmin is cheaper than that (generally $5/mo. if you get it through your provider), and there are plenty of other cheap/free alternatives available.

Indeed. While I'm okay with the command line, I will install a GUI merely for ease.

I'm currently installing CentOS Web Panel.

Also @WSWD I've had the notification but not yet read it - I'll definitely be taking a look shortly. :)

Top Bottom