VPS Suggestions?

Don't pay attention to Slavik. They paid him off with a cake! Personally I only never think about them due to physical location.
lol I lurve cake too!

Ah, I had already checked them out being based in the UK and whatnot, and DO *still* came in cheaper and I'm using droplets based in London...
I've just installed Ubuntu 14.04 - dropped CentOS
And I've just installed Virtualmin - purely for ease of access for MYSQL / phpmyadmin etc.. I have everything I need with 1&1 but I am deeply concerned with speed issues being held on shared platforms.
I must say, so far I am flying through it in Putty and Virtualmin is very quick.

A notable difference if I am truthful.
DO have droplets based in London and the specs are very sweet for £12 pcm.....

1&1... as a former US customer of theirs I offer my condolences. I don't know how loaded their shared hosting is over there but they usually had too many clients on ours.

We were on our game server providers shared hosting and left mainly due to their server configuration causing issues with Xenforo. Otherwise there are some good high performance shared hosting setups that work just fine. But the flexibility a VPS offers can't be beat and at the prices available today, it's hard to pass up.

I thank you kind sir.... ;)

Yes I ran a gaming community - hence ex VB, and I had a lot of issues hosting it, but when we started out, about 3-4 years ago, hosted VPS was extremely expensive and it's come down a peach now.
They're definitely oversold and overloaded. Regular 404, 500 internals and oops page not found.. It's normal for an overstretched network and to be honest, they're not the cheapest - so you'd think they'd invest on better, leaner, faster hardware... Instead they update the CP which is nice of course, but a modern CP is not what our clients will be looking at.

Within a day or two of installing Xenforo I had SQL issues.
That concerned me, and to be fair migrating XML sheets was taking forever - talking 10 mins + but when Russ also noticed it, then enough was enough.

The specs I have on this droplet are ridiculous for 12 quid a month!
Brilliant... Let's just see how it copes.

Still taking her out of crawling stages and hopefully will be walking soon. (y)

[USER=85379]@Glockie
Though you're potentially going to take some heat from the purists here, don't be afraid to put cPanel or another control panel or such on the VPS, if you aren't comfortable with doing everything from the command line. It's $15 well spent. DirectAdmin is cheaper than that (generally $5/mo. if you get it through your provider), and there are plenty of other cheap/free alternatives available.[/USER]
I normally am strictly an SSH/CLI geek... but I have to admit that I put cPanel onto a VPS (just to ease setting up some sites for people I host for). It's kinda growing on me... but I personally still prefer CLI. For someone that is not comfortable with the CLI and all the vagaries that go into securing a VPS/Server, then cPanel is probably the best solution.

I normally am strictly an SSH/CLI geek... but I have to admit that I put cPanel onto a VPS (just to ease setting up some sites for people I host for). It's kinda growing on me... but I personally still prefer CLI. For someone that is not comfortable with the CLI and all the vagaries that go into securing a VPS/Server, then cPanel is probably the best solution.
Cpanel certainly does have it's place, especially when it's not just your own sites that you are hosting.

Agreed, it makes sense and stops people borking things...
We've all had to clean up after someone else or rebuild from scratch. :eek:
That's the nice thing about having my own ProxMox server. Before I do anything major on any of the VPS's I just take a snapshot. If I bork it then about 5 minutes later it's back up and running in pre-bork mode. :ROFLMAO:

I'm really liking Proxmox after spending some time setting it up.
Yeah, it grows on you. I really can't imagine going to something else in all honesty. It would have to be something REALLY out of this world before I would. I had thought about playing with SolusVM, but since I'm not doing the VPS's "professionally" I found no real need to. There is also a cPanel plugin for ProxMox that allows management of them from there (I believe for the user and the administrator of ProxMox). It allows the end user to restart, shutdown, etc. and I believe even redo the VPS from one of the templates or ISO's that are installed. Of course, cPanel runs on a CentOS setup, but you just create a VPS with it or put it on another VPS elsewhere or a server.

I'll also toss in my vote for Nimbus. We tried several hosts before, but somehow always ended up dissappointed or getting overcharged.

That stopped when we found Nimbus. We haven't looked back since. Their customer support is excellent, and they're always ready to help when I run into something that I don't know how to handle.

I would suggest RAMNODE if you are still looking for one. One of the good prices in US for SSD and SSD cached.

PS Link has my referral in it :) You can get coupon code from WHT. I use 2GB RAM / SSD cache package and so far good since last 2 years.

I think they don't have any valid coupon right now.

They don't use coupons at all anymore. They instead restructured their prices (lowered all of them) a couple months ago, and will no longer be offering coupons.

They don't use coupons at all anymore. They instead restructured their prices (lowered all of them) a couple months ago, and will no longer be offering coupons.
Apparently if you already had an account with them using it and had left to a dedi server, your account still exists with the discount code. I needed a VPS to set up a DNS server on and since I already had an account there I went and got another VPS. Turns out I got 2 instead of one (512MB RAM) and am paying a whole $7.50 a month for them. Good price for a simple DNS server VPS. I still haven't figured out what I'm going to do with the second one.

Apparently if you already had an account with them using it and had left to a dedi server, your account still exists with the discount code. I needed a VPS to set up a DNS server on and since I already had an account there I went and got another VPS. Turns out I got 2 instead of one (512MB RAM) and am paying a whole $7.50 a month for them. Good price for a simple DNS server VPS. I still haven't figured out what I'm going to do with the second one.

Yes, if you already had a coupon, it still applies. You should check the prices though. We have a backup DNS server with them and it was actually cheaper (and with more disk space/bandwidth) to drop it and order one under their new plans without the coupon.

Yes, if you already had a coupon, it still applies. You should check the prices though. We have a backup DNS server with them and it was actually cheaper (and with more disk space/bandwidth) to drop it and order one under their new plans without the coupon.
I compared both.. it was cheaper with the coupon. Would normally have been $10 a month. I'm saving $2.50 basically. :D

Top Bottom