VPS - Debian, EHCP, nginx, php fpm

Helo XF linux guru ;)
Please help me tweak this vps, optimize, secure.
Thanks !
Easy Hosting Control Panel, like with any control panel .... Installs the software for you. So you're more or less stuck with whatever versions they give you.

But you should be able to tweak somethings :)

Post your MySQL file and it shouldn't be hard for someone here to give you some suggestions.

I'm also open and looking for any good alternative.
Like ISPConfig 3.
IPSConfig is also a control panel and as such the same rules apply.

What exactly is your long term goal?

Do you want to be able to upgrade all the software to the latest version? If so, do it without a control panel.

If you want to be able to configure on the fly with no effort or learning? I would suggest Virtualmin

There is 2 version of Virtualmin .... One installs everything and the other lets you install whatever you want
http://www.webmin.com/virtualmin.html

Reactions: rdn
I prefer having to manage my servers through SSH. But that's just me.

If you like using a control panel, go with cPanel or DA. If you're stuck with free ones, go with zPanel. EHCP looks ugly to me.

But enough of my opinions. If you want to customize how your server runs by using a panel, you might have a difficult time. The panel installs all the necessary software you need to run the web server. As for the case of EHCP, it installs Apache by default. I suppose, in theory, you can attempt to remove apache2 via apt-get and install NginX, but you of course would have to manually import the virtual hosts, and configure fcgi for PHP. If you go with other panels, cPanel has a nifty plugin for that somewhere, where it integrates NginX into cPanel as a reverse proxy.

Installing all modules mannually is easy, but not as safe, optimize, secured as I am not a linux guru.

Installing all modules mannually is easy, but not as safe, optimize, secured as I am not a linux guru.
I'm FAR from a Linux "guru" and SSH has been nice to me. Before now all my Linux related stuff has been with a GUI front end (mainly Gnome but with the update to Gnome 3 I went back to KDE).
If you can get around OS/2 or DOS then the Linux command line isn't that hard to learn.

I'm FAR from a Linux "guru" and SSH has been nice to me. Before now all my Linux related stuff has been with a GUI front end (mainly Gnome but with the update to Gnome 3 I went back to KDE).
If you can get around OS/2 or DOS then the Linux command line isn't that hard to learn.
SSH is complicated for managing a lot of domains, webhost users.

SSH is complicated for managing a lot of domains, webhost users.
If you were hosting other domains for paying customers - probably. If you are talking about only hosting your own sites - not really. I have (on my VPS) currently tdperry.us, tkperry.com, twowheeldemon.com, my munin stats, a test Joomla site and a test Drupal site set up. Once I get my next check in I will be registering another copy of xenForo for another forum that will be hosted there also. Most people are intimidated by the CLI, but if you want to maximize your resources SSH with no control panels is the best way to do it. Heck, I've even gotten pretty much away from phpMyAdmin.o_O

Currently I've installed VirtualBox on my Mac and am fighting my way back into an RPM based OS (read CentOS). My Debian install was a LOT quicker - but that's because I have forgotten a lot of the RPM based commands and the structure layout of a RedHat based OS compared to a Debian one. It also helps being retired so I can pretty much spend whatever amount of time I want on it without having to worry about having work interfering with my important stuff. :p

In light of everything, I would like to say that the difficulty anyone encounters on handling their sites via SSH depends on the situation. If you host sites for other people that are not that technically advanced, then yes, it would be a problem. If you're hosting your sites only, then I don't see any reason why not to use SSH. Installing a panel will consume resources that could be used for website delivery.

Get a professional or someone experienced (there are a lot of those here in xF, including yours truly :P) to give you answers to the questions you may need, give you an estimate of how things should work for your site and everything else you need, and you should be good to go.

Top Bottom