Voice recordings

walterw

I run a language learning forum which is good for writing and grammar practice, but I was wondering if there was an add on or 3rd party service where users could make short voice recordings and share them on the forum.

I found this site which might work.

Or maybe there is more elegant solution that integrates with Xenforo?

What about something like SoundCloud? it embeds automatically (or maybe its with the media sites plugin)
I think this is about recording directly from xenForo though. Soundcloud does embed directly, but I was assuming this is about something that just records directly which could be great,

How about cheating a little bit and instead of an "audio" recording use the stock video uploading abilities of XF? A user could record their voice by recording a video on their device and then upload it to XF. It wouldn't matter what the actual video is in this case... a user could point their camera at a blank wall for this scenario or just leave it face down on the table... but it would allow a voice recording to be uploaded to XF using just stock features (assuming you've got or can get your server configured to support video uploading in XF).

How about cheating a little bit and instead of an "audio" recording use the stock video uploading abilities of XF? A user could record their voice by recording a video on their device and then upload it to XF. It wouldn't matter what the actual video is in this case... a user could point their camera at a blank wall for this scenario
Why video though, not just upload the audio instead

See here:

And which of those formats will most devices (phones) support without having to install anything extra?

My Samsung allows audio recordings to be made.

Besides, even if there's nothing built in to the device, I'm fairly sure there are many free apps available.

1633801606715.png

Edit: What I mean is, why use a third party site/service when you can more quickly and easily record on your device and upload it directly to the forum? 🤷‍♂️

My Samsung allows audio recordings to be made.

Besides, even if there's nothing built in to the device, I'm fairly sure there are many free apps available.

View attachment 258290
What stock app does just audio for you? My new Samsung 20 doesn't have anything like that. Maybe there is setting in the camera app somewhere for saving video.... 🤔

My suggestion was based on trying to make it as simple as possible for everybody involved.

Option 1: KISS! Record a video, upload, you're done!​
Option 2: Choose your own adventure! 🛡🗡🐉 Yay! First figure out what kind of file you can upload to our site. Here's your choices. Now figure out if your device supports that file. Depending on what kind of device you are using and who made it then you might already be able to do it. We can't give a specific answer as to how to do it because it can vary. So get busy figuring out what is available on your device for recording, what file formats it saves as, and if one of those formats is something you can actually upload. OK, now if you got this far and haven't figured out how to record an audio file on your device in a format that we support then you can continue your adventure by finding a 3rd party app for your device. Remember folks, especially if you choose a freebie app', that you should screen it to make sure it's not a malware and it's something you trust installing on your device. When you're done figuring out the app you're going to use, you should be able to now upload your file and be done!​

Hyperbolic but sure, if that's what you think.

Hopefully one day people will work out how to use app stores and install apps on their devices and maybe, just maybe, work out how to use them.

We can hope.

... and one day, hopefully, we all try to take into account that community users come with all types of experiences & preferences so when we add features, or make suggestions, that we do so thinking of them and not our own little snarky views of the world.

This is getting so off topic.

I see no point in discussing clunky workarounds such as making a video as

• you then have a pointless visual aspect
  • an mp4 would be a much larger fie size then mp3. Unnecessarily wasting space both on the site and your device/computer.
  • It is about an addon request for audio.

I'm not sure I still understand the OP. I took it to mean an audio record button within xenForo, e.g. in the the text editor. This would be great, albeit a bit niche, idea.

But if it's a request to be able upload mp3 or wav, then as pointed out, it already exists in the core since 2.2. Anyone working with audio whether it's music or for language learning, will already have no problem knowing what their preferred audio recording app is, many of which were referenced above and plenty more for ios in the App Store, free reliable and safe.

Top Bottom