Lack of interest Voice Posting

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

StarArmy

My suggestion is that if Xenforo wants to stay on the cutting edge, we should add a streamlined way for users to easily post with their voice instead of just typing text. As users scroll through the thread, they would hear other users speaking in their own voices (could be toggled on/off). Preferably this would have some way for the forum (maybe using an API to a third party transcription service) to produce transcripts and fill the post text with that. I know this is a bold suggestion but I feel like this could really build on the foruming experience and offer a feature no other platform provides.

Upvote 3
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
My suggestion is that if Xenforo wants to stay on the cutting edge, we should add a streamlined way for users to easily post with their voice instead of just typing text. As users scroll through the thread, they would hear other users speaking in their own voices (could be toggled on/off). Preferably this would have some way for the forum (maybe using an API to a third party transcription service) to produce transcripts and fill the post text with that. I know this is a bold suggestion but I feel like this could really build on the foruming experience and offer a feature no other platform provides.
do you know how much it would cost to host a forum with audio ?

About like what we do now, hosting video? If you limited the voice messages to 5 minutes each, that's about 5mb of space. Far less than a 5 minute video would be.
well that would cost you still more as it uses a lot of bandwidth depending on how many audios a page has to load

well that would cost you still more as it uses a lot of bandwidth depending on how many audios a page has to load
Lots of sites have lots of images that represent large kb loads. Nobody worries about hosting those. Voice messages if the resolution is standard for audio, 128 kb/s, really isn't any different than hi-res images. And tons lower than video.

I mean, it's really pretty simple - if you can afford massive image files and monster video files, audio isn't going to bother you.

well, good luck with it but also it depends on your niche site ... and how you depend on the search engines for traffic.
No different than videos.

Except, the guy wants the voice messages transcribed by the addon as well - giving plenty of text content for spiders to index! Plus, helping out the hearing impaired! To the OP - to encourage use of the feature, you should also have option for the thread starter to make all replies have to be voice messages!

Back to the file size stuff - the messages don't have to be and won't all be the full 5 minutes allowed. Most will only be a minute or so. Two minutes is actually a better limit I should think. And if you format the addon to make them mp3 files with smaller bandwidth, say... 80kbs which is fine for voice, you have even smaller files resulting.

No different than videos.

Except, the guy wants the voice messages transcribed by the addon as well - giving plenty of text content for spiders to index! Plus, helping out the hearing impaired! To the OP - to encourage use of the feature, you should also have option for the thread starter to make all replies have to be voice messages!

Back to the file size stuff - the messages don't have to be and won't all be the full 5 minutes allowed. Most will only be a minute or so. Two minutes is actually a better limit I should think. And if you format the addon to make them mp3 files with smaller bandwidth, say... 80kbs which is fine for voice, you have even smaller files resulting.
well im always afraid of having to pay for unused content storage...

I think a better suggestion would be to make it easy for users to dictate what they would like to type. You could also add a button that allows readers to have a computer read the post.

I don't think the user experience would be good in having users record their own voice. Dialects and recording quality would be my biggest concern.

Last edited:
I think a better suggestion would be to make it easy for users to dictate what they would like to type. You could also add a button that allows readers to have a computer read the post.

I don't think the user experience would be good in having users record their own voice. Dialects and recording quality would be my biggest concern.
that's possible with google TensorFlow API but it's expensive!!

Top Bottom