Resource icon

View Staff Threads 1.0.9a

No permission to download

Xon

Xon submitted a new resource:

View Staff Threads - Allows Stickies or Staff threads to be visible in a forum without "View threads by others"

Allows Stickies or Staff threads to be visible in a forum without "View threads by others".

Introduces 2 new permissions:

• View sticky threads
  • View threads by staff

"Staff" is defined on if the first user of a thread has the "Staff" flag set on thier account.

If you appreciate this addon, please consider a contribution via PayPal. Details will be provide via private conversation.

Read more about this resource...

While using XenForo 1.4.2 if you allow a certain usergroup to view staff threads, it also allows them to see the replies (if you go to a staff member's profile page and click postings) they put on any thread in that private forum. While the forum is private, so they can't see what the other users posted, if they do go to a staff member's page, they can see any recent replies to threads by others. Is this intended? If so, is there a way to disable it?

@GetParanoid Yes that is intentional. These permissions work on being able to view a whole thread rather than individual posts.

On the forum I help run, this particular addon is used to allow viewing of sticked thread which is locked in a particular forum.

Could you describe exactly what you are trying to accomplish?

Last edited:
@GetParanoid Yes that is intentional. These permissions work on being able to view a whole thread rather than individual posts.

On the forum I help run, this particular addon is used to allow viewing of sticked thread which is locked in a particular forum.

Could you describe exactly what you are trying to accomplish?
We'd like to hide replies to the threads staff comments on. We want to forum to be COMPLETELY private (meaning users shouldn't be able to see anything but what is commented on their own post) and that includes not being able to see the replies through the "Postings" tab on a profile page. For example,
There are two users X and Y.
X posts a thread in a private forum which only staff can see. Later on a staff member replies to that thread.
User Y can go onto the staff member's profile page, click the postings tab and see what the staff member replied on X's thread.

Ideally, Y shouldn't be able to see anything regarding to X.

@GetParanoid, I see what you are saying now. Users can't see other peoples threads but can see the replies by staff. Ugh.

In that case until I can develop a work around, I recommend using the sticked thread option and permission.

Permissions were really messed up when I uploaded the update. Everything was set to 000
It is just a zip file. How the heck did that happen?

How did you install it, manually upload the contents of 'upload'? or use an addon installer?

It sounds like your XenForo install was a weird permission setup.

It is just a zip file. How the heck did that happen?

How did you install it, manually upload the contents of 'upload'? or use an addon installer?

It sounds like your XenForo install was a weird permission setup.
I just manually uploaded the contents of upload and then got an error when uploading the xml, set listener.php to 775 and then got an error while viewing threads, so set post.php and thread.php to 755 too

I just manually uploaded the contents of upload and then got an error when uploading the xml, set listener.php to 775 and then got an error while viewing threads, so set post.php and thread.php to 755 too
This is one of the reasons I recommend using an addon installer, if you don't set file permissions correctly you will break your site when installing addons.

This is one of the reasons I recommend using an addon installer, if you don't set file permissions correctly you will break your site when installing addons.
Oh well, never had trouble uploading any other plugins manually. It's fixed now anyway :)

Reactions: Xon
Hi Xon,

After upgrading I'm getting this error:
Server Error Log
Error Info
Code:
ErrorException: Fatal Error: syntax error, unexpected '&', expecting ')' - library/SV/ViewStaffThreads/XenForo/Model/Thread.php:69
Generated By: luis, 2 minutes ago
Stack Trace
Code:
#0 [internal function]: XenForo_Application::handleFatalError()
#1 {main}
Request State
Code:
array(3) {
  ["url"] => string(22) "https://my_web.com/"
  ["_GET"] => array(0) {
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(0) {
  }
}
xf version 1.5.5

Top Bottom