Lack of interest Video embed display of portrait videos too small

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

HJW

Looks like the video embed detects between 4:3 and 16:9 videos but these days 9:16 videos are probably far more popular than 4:3 so I think these should be supported rather than made very small to fit into a 16:9 box.

Sorry not sure if this is a bug or a feature request, submitting in bugs as verticle video is expected to work these days now most videos are taken on phones.
View attachment coverr-lviv-central-plaza-1566811399204.mp4

Upvote 1
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I agree it looks odd like that, there is some kind of thing they do on News channels for the "Karen" videos, that adds a kind of blurred mirror to the left and right of the portrait video. In an ideal world, I'd have it so the phone itself did that by default.

I think rather than blurring it should be made higher seeing as most people are on mobile and most people are using them vertically.

Although looking at the code I'm not sure if using the css class for 4:3 is actually implemented? Even just using that class for 9:16 would be an improvement.

Code:
.bbMediaWrapper-inner
{
    position: relative;
  padding-bottom: 56.25%; /* 16:9 ratio */
    height: 0;

&.bbMediaWrapper-inner--4to3
{
padding-bottom: 75%; /* 4:3 ratio */
    }

On the whole, this isn't really a bug and to a degree it's intentional.

First, we don't do any analysis of the video beyond ensuring that it's of a known set of playable types. We don't track dimensions would is what would be required for what you're asking.

Beyond that, I don't know if we'd be making any major changes here on the basis that we'd likely rather keep it height limited. You can edit the CSS now to remove the forced aspect ratio if you wish. Without any further changes, a portrait video ends up being taller than my browser window. It would be possible to apply other height limits as well, though I feel that we'd end up with very different visual weight for the video areas between the two types. (I know the portait video itself is small, though the playable control area is the same size in both cases.)

Regardless, I'll move this to suggestions for now.

On the whole, this isn't really a bug and to a degree it's intentional.

First, we don't do any analysis of the video beyond ensuring that it's of a known set of playable types. We don't track dimensions would is what would be required for what you're asking.
Yeah I thought that would happen :LOL: , but is the css there for 4:3 actually used? It does imply that the video is looked at to change the display size depending on the dimensions?

It's not applied programmatically to things. It's just an alternative ratio that can be applied globally to things. We apply it to Giphy embeds for example.

Top Bottom