Vestacp - Simple and Clever Hosting Control Panel

Roadmap
Version 0.9.9-1
  • Nginx + PHP-FPM (Apache-less configuration support)
  • IPv6 Dual-Stack Support
  • Advanced installer to enable only specific components
The release is sceduled on June 23.

I'm excited to try this..

I guess if you need a panel it's OK. :p
But doesn't that take all the fun out of it? :ROFLMAO:
Panels have the main purpose to stuff your server with deprecated software and consume resources that could be allocated elsewhere. IMO, terminal is the only way to go. Saying that you have no knowledge on managing a Linux server should trigger the desire to learn, not to install panels.

If you want a free panel, use webmin. Best way to go though is like @Floren said.. Learn Linux and do everything via terminal. I only use cPanel on my servers as that's what I'm forced to.. I would love my clients to not need it :)

If you want a free panel, use webmin. Best way to go though is like @Floren said.. Learn Linux and do everything via terminal. I only use cPanel on my servers as that's what I'm forced to.. I would love my clients to not need it :)
Same here, and that would save me $15 a month for the licence!

Panels have the main purpose to stuff your server with deprecated software and consume resources that could be allocated elsewhere. IMO, terminal is the only way to go. Saying that you have no knowledge on managing a Linux server should trigger the desire to learn, not to install panels.
Some people don't have the time or desire to learn linux. Thus, they relay on other people to manage their server and/or install panels in order to avoid wasting time to find the appropriate command(s).

Some people don't have the time or desire to learn linux. Thus, they relay on other people to manage their server and/or install panels in order to avoid wasting time to find the appropriate command(s).
And some people enjoy being at the mercy of others.
Point is - if you are responsible for your server (and it sounds like you aren't) then a panel is a panacea that won't help when the poop hits the fan. I'd rather know how to take care of it directly instead of "oh, my button doesn't do what it should I wonder what's wrong".
I guess when you use a panel it is automatically transfers the knowledge to you on what the different options are? ;)

I realize that Linux CLI intimidates a lot of people... but so did DOS and OS/2 (if you really wanted to do anything with it). Some people are happy living in a protected shell (GUI's).

And some people enjoy being at the mercy of others.
Point is - if you are responsible for your server (and it sounds like you aren't) then a panel is a panacea that won't help when the poop hits the fan. I'd rather know how to take care of it directly instead of "oh, my button doesn't do what it should I wonder what's wrong".
I guess when you use a panel it is automatically transfers the knowledge to you on what the different options are? ;)

I realize that Linux CLI intimidates a lot of people... but so did DOS and OS/2 (if you really wanted to do anything with it). Some people are happy living in a protected shell (GUI's).
I sure do use somebody to manage my server although I do quite a lot by myself as well (thanks to the panel(s)). I just don't have the time to keep up with all the software updates/security problems out there. So yeah, when you sick you go to see a doctor, when your house is flooded you call for somebody to take care of it, when your car is broken you go to a garage, so as other people pay to others in order to manage their servers. It's called specialization in economy, and it works quite well so far.

Very true about the desire to learn part. Not having the desire to learn (in life in general) is a disservice to oneself. There's no deadline or cut off date for learning and self improvement - learn at your own pace. It may take days, weeks, months or even years but you're eventually get there.

But that's why I like Centmin Mod and it's shell based menu - it's between a full fledged control panel and pure SSH command line. Still plenty to learn on command line!

There's a difference between knowing what to do on the SSH command line and having to do it manually every time. It's like the difference between knowing how to manually assign a label on an email in Gmail web interface + doing it manually for every email that arrives in your inbox versus using Gmail filters to auto label emails. The difference comes down to time and effort spent on the task. Essentially, time is money for most folks - and very true for contractors hence why there's a whole market demand for managed web hosts, system admin services, consultants and thus control panels :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom