Vestacp - Simple and Clever Hosting Control Panel

Dedicated servers aren't expensive if you know what you need and if you don't need a fully managed server. Dedicated unmanaged servers usually start around $30 a month and go up from there.

If your ISP allows it and you have dedicated IPs, it's even cheaper to purchase a server and run it yourself. My site runs in-house along with 5 other servers for other sites. The server that runs my site is a very old Dual Single Core server (2 single core CPUs). It keeps chugging along happily without any issues (last reboot one year ago after updating the OS).

Personally I use ISPConfig as a control panel and the control panel port is locked to a private IP address. I only use the control panel because it's a quick/easy way to change things if I need to. But, I can also do it by command line if my heart so desires.

Totally agree. I was going to put the sites on a cheaper dedi, but the cpanel licence doubles the cost, so they can stay on the linode VPS.

It isn't exactly kosher with their license agreement, but you could always virtualize the dedicated server (i.e. make 1 huge VPS), and run a VPS license that way on the dedicated box. Easily done, if cost is the factor.

I don't have any experience with panels, as I never used them. Does the panel uses user root to perform various tasks? If it does, this is the biggest security risk you can ever imagine. You allow root access through a web interface, purely insane.

I don't have any experience with panels, as I never used them. Does the panel uses user root to perform various tasks? If it does, this is the biggest security risk you can ever imagine. You allow root access through a web interface, purely insane.
Can't answer that, I don't have enough experience with that panel :)

cPanel
Direct Admin
Plesk

Those being the top 3 used for commercial industry standards in hosting providers, do indeed use some level of root or sudo (root) privileges to execute commands (there is no way around it). Yet function acceptably without issue (one of the reason why they are industry standards in hosting commercially)

Reactions: rdn
As an aside, if anyone wants to play with it (that doesn't have the ability to set up a test site with it) hit me up in a convo. I've got a test VPS set up with it out there and can give you the info to log in and look at it (just don't go hog wild). I'll be destroying the VPS on 05/06/14 around 7PM central time.

EDIT: You must be at least a well-known member for me to grant you access to it.

But that is like being root, no?
You granted sudo, you granted root priv's. ;)

As stated earlier... some things you will HAVE to have root priv's for to perform apparently. No different than via SSH and either assuming root via su or using sudo.

@Tracy Perry, I can grant sudo to an user to only restart mysqld, not necesarily the hole root access. But ya, we both get the idea, is bad. Plus is a lot easier to gain access through a web interface, compared to an SSH terminal... That day might come when you try to login into your "secure panel" and everything is gone...

I've been using Webmin for about 10 years now. I like being able to to the following tasks with it:

- manage cron jobs
- view system logs
- manage PHP configuration
- manage apache files
- use the filemanager
- manage sendmail
- stop and restart apache
- manage MySQL databases

@Tracy Perry, I can grant sudo to an user to only restart mysqld, not necesarily the hole root access. But ya, we both get the idea, is bad. Plus is a lot easier to gain access through a web interface, compared to an SSH terminal... That day might come when you try to login into your "secure panel" and everything is gone...
yes, but I seriously doubt it goes and edits the sudoers file to allow only specific abilities. I'll have to kick in via SSH to that server and check before I wipe it. :D
Right now I'm chasing OpenDKIM gremlins on the server that does the myBB forums. Disable OpenDKIM and the mail sends... enable it and you get that fabulous
milter-reject: END-OF-MESSAGE from localhost[127.0.0.1]: 4.7.1 Service unavailable - try again later
message.

@Tracy Perry, use Google Apps, problem solved. :giggle:
Only if you were lucky enough to get in for your domains before they shut off the free... otherwise it's something like $15 a month per user, and with 14 active domains that adds up pretty quick.
I'd just as soon use my own mail server(s) to do it with. I'm probably going to have to end up having the myBB postfix relay to another VPS for mail services. I posted a request for feedback over there - but if it's like normal it will be 2 months before anyone knowledgable replies. :whistle:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Edit: They "fix" it, is now a trial, heh.

Myself, I have the Beta account with 2000 users, on 3 domain names.

Last edited:
Top Bottom