Very much LOST

tomatoman

To be honest, after coming to this site and spending some time looking around I feel like someone with a Grade 2 education that just stumbled into a MENSA meeting.

At age 67, I'm no stranger to computers, the internet or on-line forums. However, as someone who would now like to start up a forum of his own, I have a ton of questions. I have no experience in running a forum other than acting as a Mod on one site. Therefore, all of the terminology used on this site is akin to trying to decipher a long, dead language. This is not to say that I am incapable of learning but I don't know where to begin.

I'd like to purchase the current version of the software with a view to putting my site together but I'm wondering just how steep the learning curve will be. In addition, I realize that buying the XF BETA version is simply a single step in the process of ending up on-line with my project. It would be nice if I had a much clearer understanding as to what the first step would be and then the steps that must follow to ultimately reach my goal. Of course, there is also the issue of initial costs as well as ongoing costs and once again, I have no clue about those either.Disclosure on that aspect would be most welcome too.

Perhaps I am asking a lot. I don't know. However, if I don't ask..... I'll never know...... so here I am.......looking for all the assistance that forum members and XF staff are willing to provide. I thank you for your anticipated assistance.

Friendly URLs are enabled in the ACP.
Just check the "Use Full Friendly URLs" box.

Yes, thank you Brogan - I realize that I probably make myself sound dumber than I am with these questions and so I don't blame you for thinking I'm too stupid to check off a box, but that wasn't what I didn't understand. :D The part that threw me was this:

If you enable this option, the links generated by the system will not include "index.php?". However, to enable this, mod_rewrite must be available and an appropriate .htaccess file must be in place.

However, Decent60 explained it to me so I'm all set now, I think. Thanks though. :)

...just say that after being a member of several forums that essentially have the same focus, I think that I can do a far, far better job at filling that niche...

And I bet you will do better.

I'm not terribly sure when I will get it finished, but I've been trying to make an really basic 'how to' video that shows all the basics. Assuming no prior knowledge at all.

I believe it is safe to say that most people on this forum have forgotten how difficult it is to learn the initial concepts of getting started.

Dean,
Soooooooooooooooooooo , if I read you right... you're saying that it's not quite as easy as the rest of these guys are telling me it is????? :(

Wow........... thanks for that. :D Thankfully, I happen to like challenges but since you suck as a salesman, I think that you should be giving me that Senior Citizens DEEP discount just for being brave enough to venture into the land of geekdom.

Dean,
Soooooooooooooooooooo , if I read you right... you're saying that it's not quite as easy as the rest of these guys are telling me it is????? :(

Wow........... thanks for that. :D Thankfully, I happen to like challenges but since you suck as a salesman, I think that you should be giving me that Senior Citizens DEEP discount just for being brave enough to venture into the land of geekdom.
Depends on how deep you want to dig. (handing tomatoman a shovel) For the average admin who just wants to run a forum, the shovel can be plastic...some of us need a backhoe.

Dean,

It is *extremely* easy once you know how, like everything else in this world.

Presumably you have a domain name in mind for instance, but did you buy a domain name yet? Super simple once you do it, but not everyone has the confidence to do that - much marketing hype to wade through.

, but did you buy a domain name yet?

Domain name???? :eek:

What's a domain name? :confused::confused::confused:

Can I find those for sale at Wally World? :)

If not, where would one shop for such an item and will it cost me more than $1.99 ? :rolleyes:

See? This is why you need to stop getting sleep at night and get that tutorial video finished. Then you won't have to field all these repetitive questions. :p:D

Depends on how deep you want to dig. (handing tomatoman a shovel) For the average admin who just wants to run a forum, the shovel can be plastic...some of us need a backhoe.

Perhaps, you could expand on that a bit, dear Elizabeth.

Is the size of shovel relative to the complexity of the modifications/add-ons to the software? I fully understand the reasoning behind the focus to perfect the core software package prior to adding the accessories but won't the Gold version contain all of the bells and whistles that are fairly common to most forums on-line today? Or am I expected to either learn how to add those items or hire someone to do that? And once all of that has been done, does it not stay static from then on or am I required to make repairs due to wear and tear?

Domain name... Get one at www.namecheap.com and yes you do want the whoisguard.
Do you have a place to put your site? (a host)

Thank you very much for that link.

No, I have not selected anyone as a host. I suppose like most things in life, there are good hosts and not so good hosts. Therefore, I will happily entertain suggestions from those who have traveled that rocky road. I also understand that there is a thing called "bandwidth" which I believe translates into the size of the barn you need to store stuff.

I also understand that there is a thing called "bandwidth" which I believe translates into the size of the barn you need to store stuff.
Actually bandwidth would more accurately translate as how much stuff you took in and out of the barn, and how often.
If it's just the odd bale of hay now and again then you would have low bandwidth.
If however you are constantly taking your tractor, combine harvester, etc. out then you would have high bandwidth.

Disk space would be the barn in this analogy.

Tomatoman, at this point in time, the forum when it is released as stable is not planned on having all the extra bells and whistles found with most software suites today. XenForo will be a forum only but will have an extensive modification area available for all of us to extend the software to what we need.

At the moment, in order to extend it, you need either a big shovel or backhoe. Hopefully that will change as it goes stable and the modifications get better. Remember, it's still in beta, we have a few steps to go yet.

With that said, there is always someone around willing to help out and help all of us learn.

I know Russ offered, but you can also join me in my test forum and I will help you with the back end of xf as well as the basics of FTP, etc.

OK guys and gals. The help has been amazing. I read the guide for dummies on starting a forum and it doesn't seem too intimidating. Then I went to the domain name place suggested by Elizabeth and got re-intimidated. :(

So I could use some advice.

I guess that I should open up and provide some key info in order to obtain the very best advice. I collect, restore and discuss garden tractors. It's a hobby and it keeps me from being a Walmart Greeter. As such, my future forum will focus on one particular brand of garden tractors. As you know, there are various types of suffixes used. I am not an organization nor am I a COMmercial business. However, I'm not sure whether search engines make any preferential distinctions that would affect my site. In other words, I want to do what I can to make it easy for people to find me. So, what suffix should I choose?

I think I'll stop here and deal with other questions after.

The good news tomatoman is once you get started, and stuck, there are loads of people here who will help you :) The best advice I can give, is don't be daunted by all the strange terms and abbreviations.

I don't think domain suffix makes an awful lot of difference. I would try and get .com to start with as it's the most universal one (main issue is, getting people to remember your site name, so .com is easier). I mostly use .com though I do also use .org.uk where I want to explicitly show my site is non-commercial. Domains are quite cheap now, so why not by few variations, eg. .com, .org, .net etc.

I also recommend the .com, most important sites are .com and near all people knows this domain extension. If your site is .org or .net, some people will type .com and you may loose visitors.

Be careful not to put the trademark name as part of the domain since it may cause legal problems for you.

Be careful not to put the trademark name as part of the domain since it may cause legal problems for you.

Well, if I don't put the brand name in the domain name, then I am skrewed right from the get-go. I understand what you are saying because my daughter got into a piZZing match with FORD over this. She was a fleet manager at a Ford dealership and registered a domain name that included the name she was soliciting business for. However, Ford decided that they wanted that domain name and tilting at windmills is for fools.

Yahoo hosts all kinds of forums for different tractor brands and no problems from that. They also host engine forums such as Onan, Kohler, Wisconsin etc. The only difference I can see here is that my site won't be under the Yahoo umbrella. Whether that umbrella keeps crap falling from the sky from hitting anyone, I cannot say. All I know is this. If I want people to find me, I must use the brand name in my domain name. Comments?

I would always go for the .com.
A lot of people also buy other domains with the same name but different extension such as .co.uk, .org, etc. and point them all to the .com.

For example, if you enter www.xenforo.org in your browser address bar you will notice that it redirects to www.xenforo.com.

Assuming for the moment that I can come up with an available domain name ending in dot com. Then what other suffixes are worth buying? Aside from the initial purchase price of those additional domain names, are there any additional costs involved to have those domain names automatically forward searchers to my dot com address? And are those charges a one time thing or is there an annual cost to keep the boat afloat?

Top Bottom