Very excited! Converted my community to xF

Did you have all the IPB "extras" (chat, gallery, downloads, etc.) and if so, what's the plan - retain them until xF has similar add-ons, or just go without?

I did/do own them all, but my members attempted to use them, but never really liked them. Before I had planned to switch to xF, when I bought a license to support the cause, but had plans to stay with IPB, I polled the members and they wanted me to trim things down and focus on the forums.

I had already started doing that. I had removed the Gallery and the Blog app and was in the process of removing Links and other items that were hardly used.

I never could get IP.Content to run and act the way I wanted to because no matter what they say over at IPB it's design for a developer to use.. not the weekend warrior like myself. So, I did lose the additional apps, but the lack of use and with my membership stating they didn't want them, I didn't lose anything.

I will add a WP blog for content, but it will be a sudo part of the site instead of a main part.

Jamie

google seems to index xenforo url link very fast
you can try using .htaccess file to redirect old links

Yeah, that is something I will have to check into this weekend. Since I know just enough to be dangerous I will have to do some research to see what will work.

Thanks,
Jamie

My situation is very similar to Jamie's. We have the blog, gallery and ip.content. I think it is a good idea to focus more around the forums. xF + WP should fit the bill nicely.

Yeah, that is something I will have to check into this weekend. Since I know just enough to be dangerous I will have to do some research to see what will work.

Thanks,
Jamie
i did a lot of research last week on .htaccess file my result were in this post
i hope that helps you in anyway and feel free to ask any question just PM me ;)

Ok, one thing I have noticed and 'quick fixed' was the fact that some members were having a hard time resetting their passwords after the import. They were having a problem finding the link, even after I added the link to the email I sent out last night.

After coping and pasting several users user name into that Reset area myself to get them online, I decide to add a Tab to the navigation for people that aren't logged in.

This is what I used:

Code:
<!-- lost password -->
                <xen:if is="{$visitor.user_id} == 0">
        <li class="navTab home PopupClosed"><a href="http://www.awalkinfaith.org/community/index.php?lost-password/" class="navLink">Reset Password</a></li>
                </xen:if>

This only shows the tab for guest users, and hides it for anyone that is logged in. I will remove this tab after a month or after most members have logged in and checked out the new site.

Jamie

I did/do own them all, but my members attempted to use them, but never really liked them. Before I had planned to switch to xF, when I bought a license to support the cause, but had plans to stay with IPB, I polled the members and they wanted me to trim things down and focus on the forums.

I had already started doing that. I had removed the Gallery and the Blog app and was in the process of removing Links and other items that were hardly used.

I never could get IP.Content to run and act the way I wanted to because no matter what they say over at IPB it's design for a developer to use.. not the weekend warrior like myself. So, I did lose the additional apps, but the lack of use and with my membership stating they didn't want them, I didn't lose anything.

I will add a WP blog for content, but it will be a sudo part of the site instead of a main part.

Jamie

Nice one Jamie. We have had excellent feedback since re-starting on Xen. NO one seems to be overly missing the IPB extras, still waiting on the first person to ask where the arcade has got to, but our core membership haven't dialed in yet. Surprisingly got a couple of members I haven't talked to in over five years joining up and diving in, they even put a redirect on their site to the new toy :)

Top Bottom