Very custom CSS needed for small changes

Style Properties cover specific and general elements/classes, some of which are used on various pages and layouts.

To uniquely target individual elements and classes then you will need to edit the CSS templates or use EXTRA.css.

There is no solution which is going to please everyone; some will want fine control over every individual class/element, others won't.

That's where the problem lies. There won't be a solution that pleases everyone. I have a feeling there is a general solution that could be achieved and will please more people but I'm not sure what it is. Maybe nobody on here will have any better ideas.

Honestly it's just a learning curve, once you know style properties a bit better you'll realize how easy XenForo is to work with. I hope they don't change the way the system works at all, I love it. Only thing I would suggest is adding in more style properties to cover different things but hopefully in time.

I guess I should ask what exactly are you having trouble with? You should take caution changing style properties as they can effect more than one thing for sure. I've seen in the past where someone asks to change a specific color on a specific area and someone responded saying "change primaryContent background color" which is completely wrong as it will change colors across the entire board.

My steps usually in creating a style...

1. Adjust the color palette to the colors I'm using, replacing XenForo dark colors with my dark colors, xenforo light with my light colors ect
  2. Start with the header + navigation style properties coloring + spacing
  3. Move onto PrimaryContent + secondaryContent style properties as that's pretty global
  4. SectionMain (outside border color of some of the content)
  5. Subheading Style property(adjusts category nodes + other headings around the site)
  6. Sidebar Properties -> Block Heading
  7. Forum List Category Title bar property

This is a generic rule I typically do when I do styles, this will lay down a good foundation for you to start your style and begin nit picking at little things.

That's where the problem lies. There won't be a solution that pleases everyone. I have a feeling there is a general solution that could be achieved and will please more people but I'm not sure what it is. Maybe nobody on here will have any better ideas.

I don't really see a problem. If you want to style something specifically your always going to have to put in the manual work to enhance that area. EXTRA.CSS makes it easy to have all your edits consolidated in one place. For more general global changes (to save time) as well as consistency, the colour palette serves this purpose nicely if there's areas of your style that needs the same colouring. And then you have your style properties to an extent makes styling the majority of the elements less time consuming.

Personally, I don't see an issue at all and find that xenforo to style for is less time consuming than any other forum software.

Apologies - I was very frustrated and threw all my toys out of the pram the other day, deleted posts and asked a moderator to delete my account and all that. That was to do with trying to relax by doing internet stuff while a couple of other things were going bad. Thanks for the detailed replies.

I'll hold that the software is not relaxing for the first time admin following the manual. Text size caused hassle for me. I thought increasing the size in body would increase everything else, but it only increased the text size for my custom header. Using the colour palates messed up text colour against background colours. Ideally there might have been two boxes to change - a text colour box beside the background colour box. Other things were a hassle because I had been going about a reasonably major style change in the wrong order.

I went ahead with the move at the weekend.

Top Bottom